I Don't Do The Gift Exchange Thing Anymore For Christmas Because Seeing My Friends And Family Is A Gift In Itself

The main reason why I stopped gift exchanging is because I don't really need or want anything for Christmas. 10 year old me would be totally flabbergasted with what I'm saying right now.

3

We've all come to know the holiday season as the season of giving and receiving. Christmas wouldn't be what it is without wrapping, opening, and exchanging presents, but as I became older, I've drifted from this tradition.

Of course, it's a great feeling to wrap gifts and watch as people open yours. In the past, I've taken part in several gift exchanges. I used to think White Elephant and Secret Santa were incredibly fun, and they still are, but I've taken part in less of them. Over the years, I found it harder and harder to get people gifts because I just don't know what they want. I could always ask them and purchase it, but I've always liked the surprise aspect of gift exchanges.

I actually began to stray away from the gift exchange tradition ever since college started. I'm so preoccupied during the semester that I actually forget that Christmas is approaching, and I don't do my Christmas shopping until a few days before Christmas. Not to mention that I'm terrible when it comes to Christmas shopping. I never know where to buy presents and what's considered a good deal or not.

I believe the main reason why I stopped gift exchanging is because I don't really need or want anything for Christmas. 10 year old me would be totally flabbergasted with what I'm saying right now. When I was younger, I wanted so many things for Christmas that you wouldn't even believe it. I asked for things from a gumball machine to a bow and arrow, both of which I surprisingly still have but rarely touch anymore. Now, however, there's just not much that I want, and I tell my friends that. I tell them to not get me anything for Christmas.

Because many of my friends go to college out of state, I only see them once or twice during the year. Simply getting together with my friends for lunch or dinner is more than enough for me. Having a gift exchange couldn't hurt, but it's not necessary. I've always been happy with just a regular get together without presents involved, and I don't see this changing in the future.