What It's Like To Go Through 11 Nerve Disease Treatments

I Went Through 11 Treatments In 2020, Because I’ll Never Stop Fighting This Disease

I'm strong enough to take this on.

1130
Molly Cohen

I have a nerve disease that requires regular treatments. They are called IVIG treatments and I get them one day a month — they used to be two days a month. Now apparently I'm getting better so they lowered them down to one day a month. Hopefully, I'll just have one treatment left for the year.

Treatment days usually take six or seven hours. A needle is put in your arm and a tube is attached to the part where they stuck the needle. Sorry if all this sounds gross, but it's my reality.

Headaches occur after treatment, along with fatigue, nausea, and irritability. The process of the treatment is the worst because you constantly have to pee from all liquid coming into your body. You have to make sure you dehydrate before, during, and after treatment because then you get really sick.

I got these treatments about 10 years ago, when my nerve disease started. They stopped them in 2014 when I felt better, but then my disease fell out of remission in January 2020. That's when I started living this hell again.

I know people have it worse than I do, but these treatments are really awful. I would hate for anyone to go through them.

I am writing this article to let people know that if you have an illness that involves any kind of treatment and bad side effects, you're not alone. I thought I was alone until I found someone who had a similar illness as me and went through the same exact treatments.

I also know I'm not alone in feeling gross — people are suffering from COVID-19 and they need to feel better, too.

This year has been especially awful for someone who is experiencing sickness, disability, and loss of a job. But I always come out stronger — mentally and physically — after my treatments. I endure what I need to so that I can be the best Molly possible while putting smiles on other people's faces.

If you're suffering through an illness of any kind, I hope you have a great support system. May God help you feel at ease.