I chose to work on my mental health during break

After a long semester of dissatisfaction, regret and anxiety I decided to make some changes to better myself.

27
pixabay

After I got home and was done with finals and school I thought all of my anxiety and depression would just drift away. For me my anxiety is amplified during stressful situations or if I spend too much alone time when I am in a bad headspace. Depression usually happens when I have low-self esteem or I feel disappointed in myself. My winter break was going well until my mental health started to crumble again.

After a few mental breakdowns of being filled with rage, sadness and fear I decided to re-evaluate myself. After speaking with my father and my therapist I decided to come up with some simple solutions.

Exercising again.

Being swamped with school work and extracurriculars last semester, I didn't dedicate enough time to go to the gym or at least just get myself outside. I started doing sand workouts on the beach, long runs and hill sprints. I was able to feel calmer and focused. My moods even felt more stable and my thinking started to feel more rational.

Decreasing the amount of alcohol I consume.

I was a little embarrassed to come to terms that I can't drink as much as my friends because it makes me depressed. The medication I take with alcohol is not deadly, but it is not the best combination.

Eating healthier.

I started eating foods high in proteins and vitamins such as avocados, eggs, green vegetables and fruits. I started eating less sugar and gluten. I also started drinking more coffee and water to heighten my energy levels.

Going to therapy regularly.

Therapy is helpful, but once I feel like I don't have a problem to discuss that week I get lazy and don't want to go. Therapy is a process and it's more about learning about yourself during the good and the bad.

Being more organized.

I started practicing my organizational skills again because it is something I struggle with. I started filling out the reminders section in my phone for appointments and I did the same in my planner.

Spending time with family and pets.

I spent quality time with my extended family and their dog. I also spent a lot of time with my two cats at home. I felt great to feel connected and have some type of security. I also volunteered at a dog rescue shelter called Lovejoy.

These are some tips that I discovered over break that helped me a lot. I hope these are some tips you can benefit from too. Coming to terms that areas of my life needed a lot of work was stressful, but once I realized how easy these changes were it wasn't too challenging.

Related Articles Around the Web