Why Hyping Up Your Friends Isn't Always Healthy
Friendships

Are You Hyping Your Friends Up, Or Are You Kissing Their A**?

Girls empowering other girls is awesome, but sometimes it just seems to be taken too far.

98

I've noticed that girls have really chosen to come together lately, as opposed to being the rude way we usually are — which I love! I am all about pumping up the fellow female, to an extent. And I think some girls need a light to be shined on them, so to speak, to help them see whether they are being nice, or whether they are straight up worshiping other ladies in an almost unhealthy way.

Regular hype-girl behavior:

Instagram comments from your gal pals talking about how pretty you are, are THE BEST. Nothing makes you feel better than others giving you endless compliments! "Yasssss queen," "you are a goddess," or even just a whole bunch of heart eyes emojis are enough to make you feel like Beyonce. And returning the favor feels just as good.

When your girls are looking hot on the gram, heck yeah you're going to say something — "that's my best friend you guys!!!" It isn't easy being a girl, especially when we compare ourselves to others on the daily or when there are literal models out there that we look nothing like. So the fact that nowadays we want to be there to support women, all shapes, ages and colors is amazing. Unfortunately, though, there are people who take it too far, and may not even realize it.

Unhealthy hype-girl behavior:

Although the beginning of comments may start out as "omg you're so pretty," they can turn to "wow I wish I was you" very fast. This is not a good turn. This may lead to jealousy very quickly, which all of us may have against some other girls, but this kind of behavior isn't healthy for either person.

If you go out of your way every post to say something like "I wish I looked like that," or anything along those lines, you are hurting yourself. You are comparing yourself to somebody who isn't you, who you probably look nothing like, and who you probably envy because of those things. You can still support that girl from afar, but you really shouldn't wish that you could be her.

Embrace your beauty!!! Aside from that, there are girls who can really get "too hyped up," they get so many compliments and then a comment saying "I want to be you," is the icing on the cake. These compliments can get to anybody's head, create an ego, and make them feel powerful. This can hurt friendships. If you go out on a limb to say how much you admire someone, in a negative way; like saying you want to be them or look just like them, that gives them power over you. This can turn bad very quickly on both sides of the spectrum.

To avoid all those issues, keep it simple, love yourself and hype your friends up in a healthy way. It may not seem like much, but a little "ooh look at you" with some sweet emojis can really go a long way for someone, and it's 100% healthy too.