The Human Relationship With Nature

Human’s relationship with nature is a very complex system. There are ways that humans love nature but some ways they despise nature. But overall, humans tend to defend nature and its beauty, tend to find refuge in nature, and explore what nature has to offer.

Humans adore nature, even more, the natural world is needed for survival. Nature is what provides oxygen, food, and water. “Going green” is a prime example of humans protecting nature. “Go Green” has become a well known phrase within society. Go green, an informal term for environmentalism, is a broad philosophy and social work that concerns with environmental protection and improvement of the health of the planet. There are a wide variety of go green activists from all over the globe like Mariel Hemingway, Ed Begley, Jr, and Matthew Modine.

There are more and more people each day that get involved in cleaning the environment, who recycle and protect natural resources, like trees. Of course the protection of nature did not start in this generation, it has been happening long before the 21st century. Native Americans were big activists when it came to the safety of nature. Chief Seattle was one of those activists that adored nature and thought that the “white” man was mistreating it: “The earth is not his brother, but his enemy ,and when he conquers it, he moves on.” (Chief Seattle’s letter to President Franklin Pierce). Chief Seattle was mainly trying to explain what people do to the land, instead of cherishing it, they use it for their own goods.

Everybody wants to escape once in a while--flee from their problems and stress, escape from the world and go to nature. Not only do humans want to protect nature but also go there as a stress reliever from real world. Chris McCandless is an example of such an act. McCandless did not have such a troublesome life. He actually had a very luxurious life, yet McCandless wanted something new, an escape to a mysterious place. McCandless explored nature to escape society, and all its anxieties and social dilemmas. Another example of a nature explorer is Henry Thoreau, the man who influenced McCandless to explore nature himself. Thoreau loved nature with a passion, all of nature was an addiction to him.

Humans adore nature because it is a part of the human race. Nature is life--it is THE source of all living beings, and without it, animate beings would not exist. Humans adore nature whether it being defending it or just escaping to it, so why not cherish it?