Hozier Is Underrated

Hozier Is Underrated

An incredible singer and song writer who produces songs with more depth than just partying on the weekends.

2064
Hozier Is Underrated
ppcorn

1. Cherry Wine

This is a beautiful piece which shows domestic violence through the survivor during the relationship. This being said, he is rationalizing and creating excuses for this behavior.

Another aspect I love about this song is that he is singing it from his point of view, showing that abuse is not always the man in a relationship, it can be the woman, as well. Hozier displays the raw and real emotions that come from a survivor's mind while in an abusive relationship. He did not see any wrong in it, he truly believed it was the way that she loved him. While he could not find a good reason as to why she did that to him, he accepted it because he was in love with her and was blinded to the abuse he was enduring.

The way she tells me I'm hers and she is mine

Open hand or closed fist would be fine

The blood is rare and sweet as cherry wine

2. Sedated

Sedated is one of his faster songs that you don't realize how deep it is until you really pay attention to the lyrics. In this song, Hozier is singing about drug and alcohol addiction. He uses these substances to help distract and numb him from the pain he always feels.

While he is addicted and discussing how it makes him feel better, he does realize that is a destructive behavior. He felt victim to the substances which once made him feel alive and free. Within the hook of the song, he even begs his significant other to help him but instead, they join in.

Darlin', don't you, stand there watching, won't you

Come and save me from it

Darlin', don't you, join in, you're supposed to

Drag me away from it

Sedated is a cry for help and an anthem for those who are struggling as well. While the music industry might glamorize the consumption of drugs and alcohol, Hozier pleads against it by showing how destructive it can be.

3. To Be Alone

In this song, Hozier discussing how uncomfortable he feels in crowds as well as how much he despises society for their anthems of rape culture. He looks at society as a privileged group of individuals and he tries to run away every chance he gets. Being alone with her is his fondest escape from the hustle and bustle of a culture he resents.

But you don't know what hell you put me through

To have someone kiss the skin that crawls from you

Though he finds safety with her, Hozier feels unworthy of her love and compassion. Her touch makes him feel undeserving as she is Godly to him. It is a sick and twisted form of safety but he relishes in it. It feels good to be alone with her.

4. Work Song

Hoosier finds motivation to keep working and living because his love gives him purpose. He sings about how when she found him, he was hopeless and had been at his lowest. She came and saved him from his old ways. He also goes on to say that from that point on, he never cared about whether he will go to heaven or hell, he was determined to always come back to her. A romantic love song that includes the subject of religion is truly a masterpiece.

There's nothing sweeter than my baby
I'd never want once from the cherry tree
'Cause my baby's sweet as can be
She give me toothaches just from kissin' me

5. Jackie and Wilson

This is a great song to roll down your windows and blare on a drive. It has a rock and roll vibe to it and talks about finding his true love. Jackie Wilson is his ideal and in his song, he says that he wants to name his kids Jackie and Wilson (hence, the title). Hozier also wanted to play around and make an upbeat song since all of his songs are very intense. This piece has truly succeeded in that aspect.

We'll name our children

Jackie and Wilson,

Raise 'em on rhythm and blues

6. Take Me To Church

Hozier made a name for himself when he released this track. A lot of Christians actually dislike him as an artist because of his "attack" to their faith. Although, Hozier did not write Take Me to Church to poorly portray the church. His wrote this piece to compare loving someone, no matter which sex, to the faith. Who you love is a personal choice and it can not be changed in any way.

In the madness and soil of that sad earthly scene

Only then I am human

Only then I am clean

Hozier wanted "Take Me to Church" to be an anthem for proclaiming humanity through love. He wanted the song to show humility as he praised his love. Loving her was his faith - no this does not mean he turned against God or idealized her above him. Hozier felt as if his love for her was a faith he followed and practiced every day. That is incredibly beautiful and breath-taking.