How You Know You Live On Cape Cod

How You Know You Live On Cape Cod

The difference between a local and a vacationer.

3864
How You Know You Live On Cape Cod
fineartamerica

School is coming to an end and all of the Cape Cod locals will be home for the summer. As the Cape comes to life, so does the tourist population, traveling near and far to finally be on Cape. If you have lived on Cape your whole life you know the difference between a local and a wanna-be local.

You know you live on Cape Cod when...

1. First off, you know the right way to say where you live, you are “on” the cape, not “in” the cape.

I don't know what it is about tourists that drive me insane. I have been away at school missing home, and I want to enjoy it not feel like it is being invaded by outsiders. If you are going to summer on Cape Cod, at least say it correctly. If I hear one more person from my college tell me they "Summer in Cape Cod" I might have a conniption.

2. The bridge will always have traffic.

During the winter, there will never be any traffic. Need to get over the bridge fast? It should only take about 15 minutes if you are coming from Sandwich. Fast forward to the summer, you find yourself swearing and screaming at tourists because what was once a 15-minute drive just turned into a 45-minute one.

3. When telling people where you live, you just flex your arm and point.

I truly do not know how many times I have explained to people where I live. Oh, you don't know where Sandwich or Dennis are, let me just whip out my handy dandy arm — it's a perfect map.

4. You knew all of the back roads to beat traffic before the GPS started showing them.

When I was younger my parents would always take the back roads and we would beat the traffic. I love technology, but also hate it in the summer because now the tourists use the back roads that should really only be used by Cape Codders.

5. You know you are almost home when you see the bridge.

Coming home from college over Christmas break, I knew I was almost home when I could spot the bridge. You know that feeling you get when you are about to see someone you missed — that is the feeling true Cape Codders get when they see the bridges for the first time in a long time.

6. You know that Cape Cod clam chowder is the best.

There is not question that Cape Cod has the best clam chowder — there is no competition. Sure all of your friends from New York might have the "World's Best Pizza," but it doesn't compare to the World's Best Clam Chowder.

7. You jump off the boardwalk all the time.

The first jump of the year always gets your heart racing. After the initial shock and chill of the water, you become a pro. There isn't a summer that goes by where you do not jump off the Boardwalk.

8. Your Instagram is full of sunset pictures.

Your followers on Instagram just have to get use to the fact that Cape Cod has beautiful sunsets, and if you are lucky enough to catch on it will definitely make an appearance on your Instagram.

9. Sandy Neck is your second home.

The days I am not working you can find me out on Sandy Neck. On my days off my family and I practically live out there. Pack a cooler for the day/night, set up shop and stay until the sun goes down and the bonfires start.

10. You have a love/hate relationship with tourists.

Tourists are the source of Cape Cod's income. Without them all of the businesses would more than likely die. This is why I say most of us have a love/hate relationship with them — please just remember that this isn't your home.

11. You know not everyone is “preppy,” but then again everyone is.

All you see around Cape Cod are anchor dresses (God knows I own a few), KJP bracelets, Sperry's and Vineyard Vines. A lot of people try to say they are not preppy, but it is very hard to stay away from the nautical wear when you live on Cape Cod.

12. You know all the secret spots to see a perfect sunset.

I'll let you in on a little secret, the Nob has the best sunsets. You're welcome.

13. You know that if they live over the bridge they live “off Cape” not “on Cape."

It drives me insane when people from Sagamore Beach try to say they are from the Cape. You are not from Cape Cod. If the bridge were to mysteriously disappear you wouldn't be a part of the Cape. So like Gretchen Weiners said, "You can't sit with us!"

14. You hate piping plovers for closing down the beach.

You will show up at a beach one day and it will be closed due to the safety of the piping plovers. Fun fact: My dad and I were walking along the beach and he walked too close to the "restricted area" and a piping plover pooped on his head.

15. “At the lobster claw restaurant, great dining by the sea. At the lobster claw restaurant, we're one big family.”

There is always that one restaurant that you know all of the words to their catchy song on the radio. I have never been to the Lobster Claw Restaurant, but you know I can sing the whole song for you.

16. You love P-town.

P-town is where it is at during the summer. If you live on Cape Cod you normally will find yourself driving to P-town for the day and stopping at the Wellfleet Drive-In on the way home.

17. You know at least one person who has Cape Cod tattooed on them.

If there is one stereotypical tattoo for the Cape it would be the Cape Cod outline. We could literally start a group of all the people who decided to go against their parents' wishes and get a tattoo that reminded them of home. Or you could be like me and go for the stereotypical wave tattoo and call it a day.

8. You work more than 40 hours a week in the summer.

I wanna take a nap, preferably on the beach. We live on the Cape, but we are working all the time that it seems like we never actually get there.

19. You live in outdoor showers.

No matter the temperature, the best thing about living on Cape Cod is the outdoor showers. The second it gets warm enough outside the second the shower goes up.

20. Your car is covered in sand — there is no stopping it.

After a walk on the beach, it isn't even worth cleaning your feet off before you jump in the car. The sand becomes an important feature in your car during the summer.

21. 4C’s and Four Seas — you already know.

If you don't know the difference by now then you truly aren't from Cape Cod.

22. You know Hyannis Main Street is not all it is cracked up to be — enjoy tourists.

All the tourists love it, but all the locals know this "amazing" place isn't all it's cracked up to be.

23. You know the Sandwich police are real and Tumblr didn't make it up.

There are really sandwich police, and no they do not arrest you for putting too much mayo on your sandwich.

24. You have been to at least one concert at the Melody Tent.

The Melody Tent is where most teenagers on Cape Cod see their first concert. You can not miss this big, blue tent as your drive into Hyannis.

25. You know no matter where you go, Cape Cod will always be home.

Being away at college really made me realize how much I love and appreciate my home. The Cape is truly a beautiful place and I will never take it for granted.