How to Wear an Alexandrite Ring

The Alexandrite ring is a unique and rare piece of jewelry that should be worn with pride.

Around 200 years ago, the Alexandrite gemstone was discovered in a mine in the mountains of Russia and has since become one of the rarest and most sought after gems in the entire world.

The Alexandrite gemstone is referred to in scientific terms as a pleochroic stone, which is defined as appearing in various colors depending on the type of light it is in. For example, an Alexandrite ring can look green or yellow in sunlight. But in the evening, the stone takes on a whole new persona and looks more like a pink or red hue.

The first Alexandrite jewelry was named after and presented to Czar Alexander II at his coming of age ceremony, sparking a demand by the most elite to also get themselves a piece of coveted Alexandrite to wear proudly.

But high demand with low availability simply makes an Alexandrite ring unparalleled to any other, with only the extremely fortunate being lucky enough to proudly wear out in public.

In fact, recent studies are showing that there has been a recent shift in demand by brides themselves, who are now eying up a fashionable Alexandrite engagement or wedding ring compared to that of the more traditional diamond ring.

So for those that want to get their hands—literally—on an Alexandrite ring, we've created a guide on how to wear it and care for it, ensuring that its unique beauty is well represented.

1. Keep the accessories simple

When you have an Alexandrite ring to show off, you don't need a ton of different accessories. In fact, the simpler the better—as the ring should steal the attention of your outfit and ensure all eyes are cast upon it. With the gemstone itself normally being quite large on the platform setting, the ring will flash its variety of colors off and get all who see it envious and want one too.

2. Wear with the casual weekend outings

While the Alexandrite ring is rare and extremely sought after, the gemstone itself is equally very durable. This means that the stone can take a bit of a beating without losing it's allure. So it is safe to wear out for more casual and active outings. You can wear it to your yoga class. You can wear it while running errands. You can wear it to weekend brunch. Just make sure to take it off for those activities you'd take any other piece of jewelry off for—such as cleaning, baking, swimming or anything else that risks it falling off or actually getting damaged from exposure to other chemicals.

3. Glam it up for a night out

Taking on a romantic hue in the evening, your Alexandrite ring is perfect for that date night or black-tie even where you dawn your most expensive dress and heels. To fully allow your ring to show off its lovely candlelight hues, we recommend keeping your actual outfit neutral. So, choose that beautiful black formfitting dress so that the pink and red hue of your Alexandrite ring can absolutely pop all evening long. Your ring deserves to sparkle, and the evening time will let some of its true magic shine.

4. Care for your ring daily

A gem this exquisite deserves the utmost attention and care. So while you can wear this ring out for nearly all occasions, you should also clean it on a daily basis too. Clarity is key to keeping the morphing colors on point, so after you wear your ring for the day, make sure to use a soft brush and room temperature water to polish it off. But don't fret too much, as these stones are hard and durable. They just deserve all the care in the world.

5. On your special day

As we mentioned at the start, more and more brides are eyeing up an Alexandrite ring to represent their eternal love and commitment to their significant other. Wearing an Alexandrite ring on your wedding day will not only add an elegant and royal sparkle to your wedding dress but will also become the talk of the big day amongst guests. You deserve to feel extra special on this big day, and the Alexandrite deal seals the deal with that.

There are many ways to wear an Alexandrite ring. In general, you can wear it on pretty much any occasion as the morphing colors make it suitable for a range of environments and settings. Just make sure to take good care of this ring and ensure it is able to continue to shine.