How To Make Space As A Non-Black Person In The Midst Of Black Lives Matter

Black lives matter.

10

I'll admit, it has been a real struggle the last few weeks to create content. I was unsure about my place and I did not want to take space that was not mine. All over social media, and to be quite frank, all over the world, people are taking the streets and demanding justice for black lives and standing against black disembodiment. This isn't new; the Black Lives Matter Movement has been around since 2013, but the disembodiment of black bodies has been going on since the 1600s. I am not an expert, I am not qualified in any way to speak about the movement. I understand that I benefit from immense privilege to type from behind a screen and share my opinions. My purpose is to use my platform and my privilege for good. I have an audience, but I want everyone to understand that THIS IS NOT MY SPACE. This is not my experience. This is not about me.

And, it shouldn't be. This is about black people. I'm wary of the people that go online and preach about activism and solidarity while failing to reflect upon their own lives. And I'll admit I was quick to draft articles and put together resources from things I've seen, but I was failing to reflect within myself. I haven't posted because I've been reflecting. Again, I was, and still am wary of taking up space that is not mine. Performative activism is so harmful.

I've been hearing a lot about how Black Lives Matter is a "political issue." Now, I love politics, I'm majoring in political science, everything about politics is exciting to me. It's the balance of power and deciding who gets to make what decisions, when, and how. It's so fascinating to me and something I hope to spend the rest of my life studying. But, I'm appalled at the people who think that politics is just who you vote for. No, it's a representation of the core values and beliefs that shape every fiber of your being. That influences your personality, your friend choices, what businesses you support, and yes, it is about who you vote for. But, if your politics stop after a well-designed Instagram Story or a black picture on your feed, I urge you to take a look at yourselves and examine what your core values are. Black Lives Matter is not political in a typical sense. It's a complete social revolution that has gained traction (rightfully so.) So, it's trendy now to support Black Lives Matter, but please, when your feed starts turning back to "normal", remember that the fight is not over.

I will be sharing my reflections on my own life and the privilege I've gained because of anti-blackness in America, and what steps I'm taking to stand in solidarity with the movement. This isn't for praise nor is it for attention. This is not my experience; I will never know what it is like to be black in America.

What I do know is this, I directly benefit from the privilege of NOT being black in America. And that's wrong. It's disgusting. Deplorable.

And I will hopefully use my privilege for good. A series of articles about standing in solidarity with BLM whilst ensuring that the erasure of black voices does not happen is coming out. Thank you for reading. And please remember that I'm human, I make mistakes and I still have so much to learn. If you have anything you can share with me to help me do just that, please email me at alleyah.ally@gmail.com. Thank you.