How to Maintain Your Sanity Through Another Month of Social Distancing

We're all alone in this together.

18

Since the nationwide social distancing guidelines have been extended until April 30, many hopes of seeing a decline in the number of reported cases of the coronavirus have been dashed. Along with those wishes, dreams of going outside and resuming normal life won't be coming true either.

As we brace ourselves for the next 30 days, there are some things that we all can do to keep moving through life as normal without resorting to talking to the furniture.

1. Be present.

So, 2020 isn't exactly the year you thought it would be when you made your vision board that included spring-breaking in South Padre. While everyone is flooding their feeds with "take me back" pictures of themselves on the beach from last year, don't wish your life away anticipating the day that things go back to the way were. We don't know what the future holds, so don't trade what you have right now for something so intangible.

2. Keep track of your time.

Make sure you don't fall into the trap of letting the days slip by if you've suddenly found yourself with an excess of free time courtesy of COVID-19. While it may seem like everything in the world has stopped, your life hasn't.

Make use of your phone calendar or planner and give yourself some structure and a way to be productive. Don't let the fact that you work from home hinder your work ethic. Decide on a time and space that is most conducive for you to work and when that time is up, do something you enjoy and aren't normally able to.

Dedicate this newly allocated time to focus on what you do have control of in your life. Use this time to reflect, and make any necessary changes to your life's trajectory.

2. Keep in touch.

Take advantage of the technology at your disposal - texting, FaceTime and really every app on our phones are tools that can help us close the gaps that social distancing has created. Check in on your friends, family and the people in your community regularly. It's just as much for your benefit as it could be for theirs.

Social distancing has proven to be difficult for everyone, and it's important that as we distance ourselves physically we don't do it emotionally.

4. Be considerate and be safe

This is a frightening time for a lot people, not just you. So when you do have to go out and replenish your "quarantine stockpile" realize that you aren't the only person that has to spend the rest of the month in your home. Please don't buy an ungodly amount of toilet paper and snarl at the Walmart employee who tells you that there's a limit on how much you can buy right now. Please wash your hands, be sensitive about the jokes you make right now and practice social distancing. You may not be afraid or concerned about getting sick but there are people who are, please be considerate of them.

While we may be isolated from each other, we're all alone in this together.