5 Tips For Starting Your Own Book Club With Your Fellow Bookish Friends

Here are five tips on how to have a book club with friends.

10
Photo of people holding books

Reading is one of the greatest things ever. It's a perfect way to relax, learn about something new, or be transported to another world. In previous articles, I have discussed the power of words and the importance of reading. This is why I feel that combining reading and hanging out with friends is bound to be amazing.

People tend to view reading as a solo activity, but one of the great parts of reading a good book is sharing it with someone else.

If you're like me, when you're passionate about something you're reading, you love to tell everyone you know about it. One of my favorite things to do is to share noteworthy lines in books, favorite characters, and plotlines with friends or family. Starting a book club with your friends is a perfect way to express your passion regarding books with like-minded people and expand your social life.

Here are 5 things you need to do to get a book club started.

1. Don't have all friends in your book club unless they want to be a part of it.

Starting a book club might make you think that you need to include all your friends. From personal experience, not everyone in your friend group is going to be a huge reader, which means they might not want to be part of your book club. So, when creating a book club with friends, reach out to the ones that you know are huge book lovers or are enthusiastic when you bring up starting a book club.

2. Choose a book that every member will love, not just your favorite.

This is really important - ask those in your book club what they like to read! Not everyone likes to read the same genre, which is why it's important to learn what genre they like to read. Afterward, you can even split your book club into groups based on genre. This will ensure that everyone will be happy regarding the book chosen and that they will not have to read something they don't like. This also means that everyone is more likely to enjoy the book club experience.

3. Start a group chat.

Starting a group chat can allow your friends to share their thoughts in the moment instead of having to wait for the group's next club discussion. This allows for more organic reactions and responses to the book that your club is reading. People are more genuine with their thoughts over text than they are face-to-face.

4. Make sure you have at least one in-person or virtual discussion.

One crucial part of having a book club is making sure you are at least meeting once a week or month. One of the reasons for having a book club is for socializing, which is why it's important to have events where you meet up to discuss the book. Also, these meetings don't have to be formal - they can be over brunch or dinner. You can also have game nights to discuss the book. Just remember, you should set a time to meet so you can add to your reading experience, which is the purpose of a book club.

5. Have fun and don't stress.

A book club is supposed to fun! You don't have to overly plans or make book club discussions formal. Have fun with it, and do whatever works for your group of friends.