How to Enjoy Your Summer at Home with Your Younger Siblings

15

Children under the age of 18 aren't the only ones enjoying summer vacation right now – unless you're taking summer classes, you might find yourself with all of your younger siblings underfoot. It can be a bit nerve wracking, to say the least – you're trying to watch all those Netflix shows that you didn't have time for during the school year but can't hear a word that the actors are saying because you've got siblings fighting, screaming or generally carrying on, burning off all that energy that they didn't get to use during the school year.

This doesn't have to be a bad thing – you can still enjoy your summer at home with your younger siblings in tow. Here are a few ideas to help you get started – and keep your sanity until school starts again in August or September.

Take Advantage of Local Activities

When was the last time that you went bowling or to your local skating rink? Why not take advantage of some of these local activities as something that you can enjoy with your younger siblings. They'll love you for it, especially since you'll be getting out without mom and dad looking over your shoulders, and it can be a great way to spend time with your siblings while helping them burn up some of that summertime energy.

The activities you choose will be up to you and up to the kind of activities that are available in your area.

Get Creative

You don't have to leave the house to keep your siblings entertained. Why not get a little bit creative – literally? Start a collaborative art project, bake and decorate a cake (where you will absolutely let them lick the beaters) or choose a room to redecorate. This last one should be cleared with your parental units first, but it could still be fun to paint, remodel or redecorate a room. The possibilities are only limited by your imagination and your budget.

Take a Picnic

Warm days are perfect for getting out of the house and heading to the park. Why not take a picnic with you? Spread out a blanket and enjoy some good food before the ants get to it. It's a lot better than picking up lunch at a fast food restaurant – not only are you almost guaranteed that the food will be healthier, it allows you to customize your menu based on the needs of your siblings. If you've got an adolescent sibling who has braces, you'll want to avoid things like nuts or sticky treats, for example.

Unseasonable Holidays

If you're away at college, you're probably missing out on a lot of holidays at home, like Halloween, Christmas and Valentine's Day. Why not celebrate them all while you're home for the summer? Set up a Christmas tree – or wrap a palm tree in Christmas lights – dress up in costumes, or pig out on big boxes of chocolates. Who says you can't celebrate all of the major holidays in one week?

Go Swimming, Duh!

It's summertime, and swimming is synonymous with summer. Take a trip to the beach, head to the local pool or find other places where you can play in the water to beat the summer heat. If you've got some other college-age friends in the area, bring them along. Not only does that gives you someone your own age to talk to, it gives you another pair of eyes to help you keep an eye on your swimming siblings.

Anytime you're around water, swimming safety should be paramount. Keep an eye on anyone who is in the water, and make sure that you're swimming in an area that is monitored by a lifeguard.

Your siblings might try to drive you crazy while you're home this summer, but you don't have to let them. Be prepared before that last school bell rings and you and your siblings will enjoy a summer that you'll remember for years to come.