How To Deal With Rejection

How To Deal With Rejection

Because hearing "no" is never fun.

6
How To Deal With Rejection
Future Sync

Whether it’s a job that didn’t go your way or a failed attempt at a relationship, being rejected sucks. That being said, rejection happens to everyone, so it’s important to remember that you are never alone. Here are six tips to help you when “no” is the answer you hear.

1. Breathe

When someone says no or you’re not the right fit, it genuinely sucks. When that moment happens, remember to breathe. Take a deep breathe and do your best to remember that this will not be the end and you can overcome it. There’s another job out there for you and a different person who will make you happy.

2. Smile

Someone telling no could lead you to a great place you’ve never thought you could reach. Think of rejection as a detour in your life that’s taking you in a new direction. Smiling can help to fake the feeling of being ok, but it can also allow you to remember all the good in your life. So smile big in the face of adversity, and think of all the good things in your life. “No” is temporary, but a smile can last forever.

3. Ask Questions

Whether someone tells you you’re not the right fit at a job or a person doesn’t “like” you back, asking questions can help to lower one’s anxiety about the situation. It can also allow you to find out what you can do to here “yes”. Sometimes more qualifications need to be met that you do not have and asking questions about what they are can help you in your future. “No” can be a setback but it shouldn’t be looked at as a brick wall.

4. Eat Your Favorite Food

Food is one of the greatest comforts in life. Go out and buy your favorite ice cream or pick up your favorite sushi roll. That temporary feeling of disappointment you feel is just that, temporary. The comfort in food can help to bring familiarity in an unfamiliar setting. A “no” can turn your world upside down and food can be that one thing that makes things feel ok for just a little bit. Sometimes a moment is all you need to make yourself feel better.

5. Work Out

Your body is one of the most amazing machines out there. A trip to the gym can remind you of that. Go out and run away the stress of a “no” or squat your troubles away. Remember that your body is capable of amazing things and a trip to the gym can remind you of that. Even if you run for 10 minutes or do one ab exercise, you still did it! Run away your troubles and push yourself on a stairmaster to show you have the power to do whatever you set your mind to. Use the anger you may have from being rejected to run that extra mile or lift another set.

6. DANCE!

There is nothing more freeing than putting in your headphones and dancing away. I can’t tell you how amazing it feels to plug into a high school jam or a classic pop hit and dance the pain away. Listening to your favorite song can also help you to connect yourself back to who you truly are after you have a moment of questioning it. Go back to your childhood and dance like nobody's watching.

Remember that you may hear a “no” or a “you’re not good enough” a million times in your life. But it’s not how many times you fall down in life that matters, it’s how many times you get back up.