Choose a career in something that makes you truly happy.
Health Wellness

Choosing A Career Path Means Choosing Yourself

We all want our lives to have a purpose. But what fulfills us? What keeps us going? I would imagine it's very different for each and every person.

741

Right now we are on the precipice of adulthood. We are entering into this massive, terrifying job search. And it can be so difficult to find the right thing for ourselves, in terms of a career. I wish I could sit here and say that the best thing is the thing you love most, but I don't know if that's true.

One of my close friends here is a history major, and has told me she is very happy with this decision; that it's something she has always enjoyed learning about in school growing up. But one of her greatest passions is making music, and she actually had the opportunity to pursue this as a profession. She later came to realize that the competitive rigor and "every-man-for-himself" dynamic of that field would not have suited her. What does this mean? Are our talents and passions off-limits when it comes to a career? No, not always.

But what I think each person needs is to find that perfect 'in-between.' It may seem really difficult. How does one stay driven? How do we find that thing that gives us purpose? I think when it's truly boiled down at the end of the day - no matter what - the thing that fulfills us is the thing that makes us happy.

That's obviously an over-simplification, and may not seem helpful. But it's the truth.

As long as you enjoy what you're doing, and it brings you happiness, you're doing it right. And sometimes it makes sense to separate our passions from our work. But I do think that we must be fulfilled in some sense by the work we put forth. Otherwise, we are walking around aimlessly, without a purpose.

Make sure to express yourself. Whatever that means to you, do it. At the end of the day, it's what makes you happy. That's the final goal, the end game.

The thing that truly makes you happy is the thing that adds purpose to your life.