How to Buy the Perfect Christmas Presents for Your "Friends"

"Wiper blades...I don't even have a car."

"No, but with this new car smell you'll think you do!"

25
Maddox e MachoCarioca, Wikimedia Commons

I'd like to think I'm a pretty humble person, but when it comes to Christmas shopping I have to say, just call me Santa Claus. But in all honesty, I love the holiday season because it's the perfect time to show the people I care about how much they mean to me. While presents are not the point of Christmas, they definitely never hurt. But it can be really tricky to find the right gift for each of your friends. So, here are my top tips for finding that perfect present for every kind of friend you may have.

The Chandler (The Friend Who Isn't into the Holidays) 

Photo by Ben Duchac on Unsplash

Chandlers don't have the fondest memories when it comes to the holiday season. They are grumpy during this time of year or simply don't get too into the festivities. But, that doesn't mean you can't give them something that will put them in higher spirits. Honestly, Chandlers just appreciate getting to spend quality time with you. They're the kind of friend who will quit their job in Tulsa on Christmas day just to be with the people they love. Maybe your Chandler doesn't have childhood memories of putting up ornaments on a tree or leaving out cookies for Santa on Christmas Eve. So what? Help them make some.

Ideas

- Plan out a day to explore the city together

- A night in with a movie and home-cooked meal

The Monica (The Friend Who is Always on Top of it) 

Photo by Estée Janssens on Unsplash

If you have a Monica, count yourself blessed. She may be a little uptight and annoyingly put together, but the holiday season is where she really shines. Monica's always know what to get you and are ready for the holidays far in advance. So what do you get someone who has it all together? Well, Monicas thrive on organization and planning. Time to hit up the stationary store. A new phone pen perhaps? (Please don't actually get them that).

Ideas

- Supplies to make a bullet journal (journal, pens, washi tape, ruler)

- A large pack of nice pens (gel, ballpoint, fountain, calligraphy)

- A monogrammed journal/planbook

The Rachel (The Friend Who Returns Everything) 

Photo by Soragrit Wongsa on Unsplash

Hopefully, you don't have a Rachel in your life. Or at least, a Rachel during the holiday season. This is a friend who always puts on a smile when receiving your gift, but ends up returning it as soon as she gets the chance. It may seem nearly impossible to shop for a Rachel, but trust me, it can be done. Rachels may be picky, but not even they can reject a thoughtful gift. I hope you know this friend pretty well cause if you don't you're in trouble. Think less about buying something your friend would wear or use "practically." Instead, look for something they would cherish—go for the heartfelt approach. Think an inside joke, something of sentimental value. Do this and your Rachel will be sure to keep it in a shoebox for years to come.

Ideas

- A photo album of memories you've shared

- Something seemingly insignificant that they mentioned they had their eye on

- A framed photo of the two of you

The Ross (The Friend Who is a Little High Maintenance) 

Photo by Ben Duchac on Unsplash

Ross's love getting gifts. They appreciate extravagant gestures and definitely like a big show. If you're dealing with a Ross, you've got your work cut out for you. The best gift for your Ross will tug at the heart strings but also may break the bank a little. But, they're worth the hassle. If it's within your means, you can't go wrong with a grand gesture. They love any excuse to dress up. However, Ross's have really big hearts, so at the end of the day, if you put some thought into your present, they will be sure to appreciate it.

Ideas

- An intimate dinner at a fancy restaurant

- Broadway or concert tickets

- A basket of goodies (food, bath.shower products). Think of places such as Edible Arrangements or Lush

The Joey (The Friend Who is Almost Too Easy) 

Photo by Alan Hardman on Unsplash

When dealing with a Joey, the simpler the better. Don't overthink or waste your time or money on planning an elaborate gift because it's not necessary. The first thing that comes to your mind is probably right on the dot. Ask yourself, what would I do for this friend on any normal day if I just wanted to cheer them up? Thankfully, Joeys are both lovable and easy to please.

ldeas

- A box of their favorite desserts

- A surprise pizza delivery when they could really need it (Make sure it's the "Joey Special")

- Make them something. I've learned that baked goods go a long way.

The Phoebe (The Friend Who is a Bit of a Wild Card) 

Photo by Jacalyn Beales on Unsplash

If you are looking for a gift for a Phoebe, you may be in for a challenge. This is a friend who is a bit out there, someone who has a very unique taste and is perhaps a little unpredictable. For your Phoebe, you need to really start thinking outside the box. The good news is that Phoebes are also generally pretty easy to please. They just want to know that you care. Whatever you give your Phoebe will be appreciated as long as she knows there was good intention behind it.

Ideas

- A funny t-shirt

- Adult coloring books

- A throwback to their childhood (their old favorite video or board game, novel, movie, or maybe even the pink bicycle they dreamed of as a kid?)