7 Simple Acts That Will Make You Happier

Sometimes everyday life can put you in bad mood.

61
Stroud's Preserve by Makayla Collins

Sometimes everyday life can put you in bad mood. That's ok, though— there are many things that can be done to improve your mood!

1. Show gratitude.

It is scientifically proven, expressing gratefulness increases your overall happiness. When you feel thankful for someone's gesture it is important to tell them. Positive psychology research indicates that giving thanks either verbally or through text improves the mood of both people. Gratitude helps us acknowledge all of the privileges we have instead of focusing on what we lack. Practicing gratitude daily can recenter the mind and help combat negative emotions.

2. Listen to music.

Listening to music can help take you out of your current headspace. The stress hormone cortisol is observed in lower levels when someone is listening to music. This improves the mood and the health of the individual. Besides just making you happier music also can improve memory.

3. Go for a walk.

Physical activity cues the brain to release serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine. This cocktail of happiness-inducing neurons coupled with some fresh air is bound to boost your spirits. Just simply being outside on a sunny day can do a great do to improve your mood.

4. Make something.

The act of producing improves mood and makes you feel more in control of your environment. This could range from a classic art project to a craft. There can be lots of great ideas for crafts on Pinterest but don't be afraid to just sketch whatever you're thinking. This is called free association drawing and it can help the person drawing become more in touch with their self conscious.

5. Cook or bake something.

Baking and cooking are mindful activities. Measuring out ingredients causes you to pay attention to all of the different flavors within your food. Expressing your culinary creativity can be a great distraction for when you're feeling down.

6. Meditation or be mindful.

Mediation can work wonders to improve your mood, but only with effort. Many people struggle with meditation initially but as you practice your focus improves. Luckily, there are numerous apps that feature guided meditations for beginners. Two of my favorites apps for meditation are Calm and Headspace. Practicing mindfulness can increase positive feelings. All of these acts are mindful because they help you further engage and observe your environment.

7. Spend time with people you care about.

No one can make you happy like the people who love you. Connecting with those we care about can remind us of how much we matter. A simple coffee date with someone you haven't seen in a while can make an average day into a great one. Humans are social beings. Interaction