How To Adjust To College Far Far From Home

No there isn't just corn in Iowa.

306

If I knew at the beginning of high school I would end up at college in Iowa, I would look back and laugh and say "You're joking, right?" Well past me, no I am not joking.

I grew up my whole life in the Bay Area, California. It was sunny-- most of the time (the bay is infamous for fog!), had the occasional rain due to the drought, but it never had the concept of white frozen stuff falling from the sky at vigorous rates, also known as snow. I spent my Fall in any weather range from 60 degrees to 80 degrees, and my Winter was at the lowest 50 degrees. It was green, hilly, and beautiful.

Yes, I can say I love my home but, deep down I knew I wanted a change. I wanted a change of pace; not being in such a competitive, high strung area trying to be better than everyone surrounding you. I wanted football, Greek life, and a school that would guide me on the path that I wanted. So I decided on the Midwest.

My dad grew up in Iowa and attended the University of Iowa, he was in a fraternity, played intramural sports, and still managed to study what he wanted and became successful. So I took his constant bugging me of applying to Iowa to heart and submitted my application, essay and test scores. When I received that acceptance letter I knew the Hawkeye State was the place I belonged.

Fast forward about 6 months, it is the heat of August and my garage is filled with boxes filled with items from Bed Bath and Beyond and my childhood bedroom was packed up. It was the day I left for the Midwest, I was torn. My heart was racing on the car ride to the airport I was freaking out with thoughts 'What if I don't fit in? Will they judge I'm from California?' All sound like very stupid thoughts looking back on it, but it was genuine fear that my 17 year old self had at the time. I arrive and get settled into my dorm, trying to get used the the cubicle of a room compared to my one at home. But, I did my best to make it feel like "home", all my friends here can now vouch for the excessive amount of California swag and my 4 foot tall poster of my dogs.

I threw myself into activities and sorority recruitment in efforts to make friends. Since I had no one from high school attending with me, I wanted to create a group of friends as soon as possible.

There is no real set of rules to adjust to a school far away, it is what you make of it. Throw yourself out there and go out to have fun. Now that I am almost done with my first year, I do not regret the change one bit. On Iowa, Go Hawks baby!