How People Are Like Plants

How People Are Like Plants

"Don't judge each day by the harvest that you reap but by the seeds that you plant."

2742
How People Are Like Plants

Anyone who has a green thumb knows that a plant will only grow as big as the container that it's in. If you plant a plant (ha) in a small container or pot, then it will be a small plant. So, if you want a plant to grow bigger then it needs to be transferred into a larger pot and eventually, with time, the plant will spread its roots and grow.

This process is similar to the progression and growth of a person in the sense that a person can only grow if they have the room and the means to do so. If a person keeps their world small then there isn't much room for personal growth.

Say I'm a plant. I begin as a seed in a small pot (because why would you plant a tiny seed in a big pot) and receive an adequate amount of sunlight and water; eventually, I sprout. At this time, the pot seems big to me because I am only a tiny plant sprout. However, time passes by and I grow into a full sized plant. My leaves kiss the rim of my pot and it no longer feels as big, but it's comfortable because I'm used to this pot; I grew in this pot! Now, I, or essentially my owner, has the choice to either keep me comfortable in my small pot or transfer me to a larger one where my roots can spread and I'll have the opportunity grow larger.

Say I’m a human now. I begin as an embryo (much like a seed) and then become a baby. With time I am now a toddler and my world seems extraordinarily big; everyone around me is larger than I am and everything around me is new and unknown. Time continues to pass by and I am now a teenager (in reference to the plant my leaves are barely kissing the rim of my pot). I have lived in the same town my whole life and people know me to be a certain person. I am comfortable with my lifestyle, my routine, and the people who I spend my time with. My world, which was once very big to me, has now become rather small - but, much like the plant, I'm comfortable in my world.

You see, if we do not offer ourselves the chance to grow into ourselves and expand our world, then our ideas, thoughts, conceptions, experiences, and essentially everything about us will most likely remain static. Although a small plant may look or feel funny being in a large pot, eventually, with time, the right resources, and the correct care, the plant will grow larger and once again kiss the rim of the pot with its leaves (and this cycle could continue on and on...)

Most of us have the tendency to stay in our comfortable world for fear of being uncomfortable. It is human nature to yearn for comfort and stability, which is undoubtably important and essential to have in life, but every now and then, once our world becomes a bit too small, it is important for us to spread our roots and be that small plant in a big pot. You never know what may come of taking that chance - which truly is the most exciting part. As we age, we change, and it’s our experiences that will shape us into who we become as we go through this process. If we do no encounter enough different and thought provoking experiences then the odds of us growing and expanding our minds is slim. Think about your life and whether or not you are too comfortable (because there is such a thing) and try to slowly spread your roots.

Sincerely,

Jenny