7 Things 'How I Met Your Mother' Stole From 'Friends'

Here are some character traits, plot lines, and such that HIMYM stole from Friends.

143

Both are great shows that I highly enjoy, but I can't help but notice that HIMYM copied quiet a bit of things from Friends.

1. Monica couldn't conceive children. Neither could Robin.

When Monica and Chandler tried to conceive a baby after a year and weren't successful, they found out that they both had problems contributing to their infertility.

2. Joey, the immature player. Barney, the immature player.

Friends has Joey as the player of the friend group, the guy who sleeps with a lot of girls and never calls them back. HIMYM also has Barney as the player of the group, the guy who sleeps with a lot of girls and never calls them back.

3. Ross and Rachel take a break, so do Marshall and Lily. 

On Friends, Ross and Rachel take a break from dating, but on HIMYM Marshall and Lily take a break as well. (Both girls make this decision too, not the guys).

4. Each pilot involves a new girl being introduced to an already established friend group. (Rachel and Robin)

On Friends Rachel is the new girl on the pilot episode. On HIMYM Robin is the new girl on the pilot episode.

5. Both friend groups have a nerdy guy who becomes a professor for a short amount of time in the middle of the series. (Ross and Ted)

Ross becomes a professor for a while in the middle of the series on Friends. Ted is a professor for a bit in the middle of the series on HIMYM.

6. Both "players" of the friend groups officiate their friends' weddings. 

Joey officiates Monica and Chandler's wedding on Friends. Barney officiates Marshall and Lily's wedding on HIMYM.

7. Both groups convene at a local beverage place.

On Friends, the group convenes at Central Perk, a local coffee shop. on HIMYM, the group convenes at MacLaren's, a local Irish pub.

Now, do you see the similarity?