My Opinion on Kingdom Hearts III's Worlds

This is not "Simple and Clean."

100

This article is completely a 100% biased rant, but I have every reason to be biased, ever since I've played my first Kingdom Hearts game since the 1st game. Don't get me wrong, I love Kingdom Hearts. I love the story, the music, the gameplay, and the characters that accompanied me since I stumbled upon the Heartless on a stain-glassed tower with Disney Princesses. But playing Kingdom Hearts III was too short, and too disappointing in my opinion. The graphics were amazing, the gameplay was fast, and the music was awesome as ever—shout out to my favorite master maestro, Yoko Shimomura—but how the story was presented felt so incomplete and rushed for someone that's been hyped up since 2014 when the first development was announced. It felt like an excuse to include more DLC to expand on the game—which they are releasing throughout this year and I am EXTREMELY eager to play. In this article, I am going to explain why I was so dissatisfied with the game's story and content, how it should have gone, and what I want in the future. And yes, SPOILERS AHEAD.

I'm going to start with the worlds of Kingdom Hearts III and branch off from there, as worlds represent the various aspects and levels of the game. While there were 15 worlds in Kingdom Hearts II, its sequel had an astonishing 8—11 if you count the minis (and minis is pretty much the best way to describe it). Note that I have not included worlds you visit once in the story or in cutscenes in the tally, such as Destiny Islands for example, but I will talk about them. Many of these worlds are huge, giant maps that allow you to explore. I loved that sense of adventure from beginning to end, but for some worlds, I felt that some things were missing, things crucial to this series as a whole.

Olympus

This is the first time you actually get to explore the real Olympus. The previous worlds were focused on "Olympus Coliseum" and the Underworld about in another article. It was really breathtaking as the first world to see the city of Athens, only to travel towards the apex that is Mount Olympus. Having Hercules as a party member for the first time instead of a guest character is pretty cool. Though, the real absence of Hades as a boss and the Coliseum is a real downer.

Twilight Town

Hands down, the worst world of the entire game. This version of Twilight Town is tiny, only providing downtown and the entrance to the Old Mansion—which you only go into in cutscenes. The lack of content is really disappointing, as you had real things to do in the last rendition of Twilight Town, from the importance of it as a story binder to the Struggle Tournament. And instead we have access to play a neutered version of Cooking Mama with Remy…that you can literally play from any save point in the game. Also, no sea-salt ice cream is going to fix this mess.

100 Acre Woods

Can't really talk much about this world. It's smaller than its other renditions with only one type of mini-game akin to the stereotypical Candy Crush. Really sad, since Winnie-the-Pooh is a staple of the series. I know it's supposed to be a breather world from outside events, but once you go there, you're basically done for the entire playthrough. There's no point in going there unless you want ingredients for recipes.

Kingdom of Corona

This was an interesting world to go with. Exploring a beautiful forest and ending up in the city was incredible. The only problem I have with the overall plot of the world. In many cases, worlds follow the story of the movie that they are affiliated with, in this case, Tangled. It's just that Sora and co. really don't have a role to play in this world, other than to beat the Heartless and get out; though I will say the way they included Mother Gothel as a boss was interesting.

Toy Box

My award for the best world goes to Toy Story. It's awesome how you get to play as a toy yourself and explore a colorful, wonderful toy store like a 5-year-old in Toys-R-Us. And not to mention, this world follows an original story with Woody and Buzz Lightyear, though I would have liked a follow up to the alternate story they mentioned. I laughed at the Final Fantasy parody that was Verum Rex, after what I experienced in the end. Also, one of the best moments in the series was when Woody, a toy cowboy, disses the hell out of Young Xehanort like he does not have a friend in him. Go figure.

San Fransokyo

I loved the plotline on the original Baymax and how he became a Heartless, only to be redeemed in the end—and now we have two Baymaxs'! It was fun exploring the city, but it felt a bit empty to explore. Sure, you have the abilities to Glide, Air Slide, and Flowmotion to jump from skyscraper to skyscraper, but that's pretty much it. I was kind of expecting more of a metropolitan vibe, maybe new activities in the city, besides a really tedious scavenger hunt/race.

Arendelle

If Twilight Town wasn't as bad as it is now, this would be the worst world in the game. Arendelle is supposed to be a kingdom of winter, and I was expecting to go exploring in a city, not climbing a mountain over and over and over again—three times in a row. Hell, the only saving grace is Larxene's ice palace. No not Elsa's palace, Larxene's—Little Ms. Thunder Queen. Oh, wait, what's that? Elsa? Sora and company have zero-to-no interaction or impact with her, or anyone really in the matter, except your giant snowman yeti party member. Hell, Hans shows up out of nowhere at the end of the story, has no lines whatsoever, and proceeds to turn into a giant ice wolf Heartless the party have to take care of. I was expecting Sora and Donald to help Elsa in her quest to control her power since theyare mages who've been casting Blizzaga since 2002, but noooo. So much for one of the biggest Disney franchise giants becoming a total flop.

The Caribbean

We skip Dead Man's Chest and jump into World's End—and contribute basically nothing to the plot—again. It's confusing, as the plot rapidly swims to the beach, Port Royal, the British, and Davy Jones, while Sora is busy looking for white crabs. There's no connection between the Disney characters and the main cast, which was the reason why the original world in "2" was so good. I wish there was much more Sora and co. could have been involved in with the procession of the plot. It was cool exploring all of the different islands, getting treasure, and the ship and underwater combat. Though, I do miss the franchise theme song, "He's a Pirate" as the battle theme.

Monstropolis

The Monster Form was a bit weird to get used to, but it really caught on me. I really enjoyed this world, exploring the factory with Sully, Mike, and Boo. I also liked the original plot and how the Unversed are connected to this world, though I do wish that they could have included more of them throughout the story. Also, watching Sully scare the daylights out of Vanitas (of all people) and yeet him into so many door worlds made my day.

Destiny Islands

I was hoping the first world of the franchise and home to the heroes would be playable, but nope, it's just an excuse to place more cutscenes into the plot. So much for beach day.

Radiant Garden

Also known as Kingdom Hearts III's "The World that Never Was." Radiant Garden/Hollow Bastion was such a staple in the beginnings of the franchise, as it was an original world that placed emphasis on the development of a sense of foreboding to its redemption as the world it is now. I was incredibly insulted, as this world was only explorable through cutscenes, and it sucked that such as world was "benched too." Also, NO FINAL FANTASY CHARACTERS.

Dark World

Was really hoping that I would explore this world as Sora, Riku, and Mickey, like 0.2 with Aqua. But nope, only boss fights. At least I got to play as Riku for a while. Speaking of Aqua, it was such an epic battle to wake her up and finally bring her back to the Realm of Light after a certain mouse decided to keep her a secret.

Land of Departure

One of the best cutscenes is when Aqua finally restores Castle Oblivion into the Land of Departure. The world looked so beautiful, but I wish I could have spent more time here. Also, loved playing Aqua while beating Vanitas.

Keyblade Graveyard

To be honest, I never really liked this world since Birth By Sleep. It's just a wasteland where "destiny" is supposed to take place. After the controversial things that took place (which I will explain in another article because I have so many), it just featured boss fight after boss fight after boss fight again and again. Sure, many of the characters from the past return as party members for the first time, but these appearances feel like cameos. Everything seemed slapped together at the last moment.

The Final World

No, this is not "the final world." It's just called that because basically its "Heaven"? After their so-called "deaths" Sora and co. are sent to this place and this part is as confusing as ever. This world proves that no one really "dies" in Kingdom Hearts…well, almost *cough Kairi*.

Scala ad Caelum

The developers created so much hype for this world and it was so…short. It's hard where to begin about this world. First of all, it looks gorgeous and it's asking to be an explorable world. Heck, it even has—in my opinion—the best world theme in the entire franchise. But as soon as you move a few steps from the cutscene, its replaced with something sounding not epic as the theme before as you deal with more boss fights until the end with Master Xehanort. In addition, this world is screaming with lore, yet we don't really get much of anything except it's supposed to be a "seat of power for Keyblade wielders." It feels so rushed that it's sad that this world could have been so much more.