What It's Like When Your Best Friends Are Like Your Sisters
Friendships

Cause We're Sisters, We Stand Together, We Make Up One Big Family

How I met my three best friends and how they have positively influenced my life as well as enhancing my sense of self.

114
Sedona Meadows

We can all hopefully look back at a time where we knew we found our best friend(s). I know my three best friends came into my life at different times and in different ways. But that is what has made my friendships so uniquely their own. I want to share how these three incredibly strong women have impacted my life.

Now, I definitely have many more people to thank for being so wonderful and I have so much love for all of my besties out there but I wanted to take the time to talk about the love these women bring to this earth.

Let me give you a little background first.

Growing up I always wanted to fit in like everybody else but I also wanted to be my own person and have my own way of thinking. Confusing right? Yeah, I know, for me too. And it obviously didn't work.

I had realized I would never be happy if I kept trying to be like everyone else. But, that left me thinking... If I don't fit into a specific group then where would I be? Would I ever have any real friends?

The answer is: it takes time.

It takes time to find the people who you truly connect with, who truly get you. And when you've found those people...let me tell you, your whole world changes!

I want to first talk about my best friend, Allyson.

Allyson and I met at one of the most pivotal times in my life; The 7th grade. Middle school had been so tough for me having dealt with mean girls and the feeling of isolation. Allyson could not have come at a better time. We met in one of our elective classes and instantly clicked. I knew she was someone amazing.

We made a plan to go to the mall (as the majority of pre-teens do). And I remember talking for hours and laughing at all of the same jokes. She listened to me and understood who I was.

Ever since that day, Allyson has been more than a best friend to me, she has been a true sister. She is an extremely inclusive, uplifting individual that treats everyone she meets with kindness. She didn't know it at the time but I looked up to and still look up to her as a role model.

Next up, my best friend, Riley.

Riley and I met while I was in the 8th grade but she was a senior in high school.

I had decided to partake in a retreat called "Minitown" and what I didn't realize at the time was that the camp was going to change my life and bless me with a life-long soul sister. Riley was one of the counselors facilitating the camp and although we didn't get to speak much during the time I was there I knew she was truly inspiring.

Two years later I wanted to use the tools I had learned at this amazing camp and be a counselor for the new 8th graders. And with much excitement, I saw Riley was going to the camp again too.

Riley and I instantly bonded as counselors and decided to continue our friendship outside of camp. She is a person of love and compassion and has been an incredible big sister to me. She is strong in who she is and accepts every person who walks in her path.

Lastly, but not least, my best friend, Elizabeth.

Elizabeth and I became great friends during my sophomore year of high school. We were in a club called "Thunder Buddies" that pairs up students to be buddies with other students who have special disabilities.

I was so thankful I had been put in the same group as her, being paired with the same buddy because she was one of the nicest people I had ever met. And watching her with all of the other students was so inspiring.

She is such a positive person who has always been there for me in so many different ways. Elizabeth has a huge heart and the best outlook on life. She has helped me in preparing for my future and what to expect for my first year of college.

These three strong young women have helped shape me into who I am today.

I think back to these last couple years and have realized I have truly surrounded myself with people who care about others and have an uplifting, positive attitude. These friends who I think of as sisters have done more for me than they will ever know. I believe they were each put into my life at specific times to help build my confidence and give me an understanding of who I am and who I want to be.

Finding those true friends can take a lot of time but it is definitely worth it because when it happens, your life becomes so much greater. I can honestly say I don't know what I'd do without them, they have been a huge support system and they make me so proud every day!

I love you, beautiful people. Thank you for being so life-changing. XOXO