How To Handle Wedding Fever When You Don't Want To Get Married

202

This past weekend, my sister got married. As a typical girl in a relationship in college, wedding fever sets in. Not only is my older sister getting married but so are my friends. Naturally, I feel the sudden urge to plan a wedding, buy a dress and create a list of who I would and would not invite to my wedding. However, there is one problem. I don't want to get married.

The past 11 months--specifically the last 96 hours--I have been trying to figure out how to cure my wedding fever. Although it is not even close to being cured, I feel like I've made some progress. Here is what I have come up with:

• Think about how crazy it all seems.
    • I am a college student, I haven't even started thinking about the summer school class that I am taking next week and I am already planning a wedding that won't even happen within the next year.
  • Think about the wedding shape that you would have to get in.
    • How could I possibly give up my love of Chick-Fil-A french fries to achieve a wedding bod? That in and of itself seems a little unrealistic when I have two sets of finals left to complete and I am an avid stress eater.

• Think about where you are in life.
    • I had to ask myself, "Could I handle being on a path that leads to marriage?" Although I strongly believe that the answer is yes, I have to be honest with myself. I have only had two internships in college, I have no idea what I want to do in life, and the thought of marrying someone and partly supporting both of us freaks me out.

• Think about how young you are (or how young you feel).
    • My sister was 30 when she got married on Saturday. I am 21, I look like I am 16 and I act like I am 28, I consider myself an adult but I start to think about how different I will be in a year. I will have a job, I will be financially responsible for myself, and I will (hopefully) not be seen wearing my oversized Alpha Delta Pi t-shirts 24/7. A lot can happen in a year and maybe waiting to get engaged and on a straight path towards marriage would be ideal in a year.

Now, I am not saying that these four points are completely curing my wedding fever. I am just saying that it is helping me on my road to being in a good state-of-mind. The next wedding you attend or the next Instagram post that you see of your friend holding up her left hand with a huge smile on her face, think about how you could not handle being engaged right now. Wedding fever is real and everyone catches it once or twice (or if you're me four or five). Here is to hoping for a speedy recovery!