How Far Is Too Far?

How Far Is Too Far?

Relationships whether romantic or platonic have their bumpy roads, but how much should you put up with?

7
How Far Is Too Far?

I am currently going through a difficult time right now with a friend, who I considered a sister. I am trying to decide if I should continue our friendship of five years, or end it. I met this person my freshmen year of high school, we had an instant connection and ended up growing closer and closer. The past year or so we became even closer than before, which I did not think was possible. Quarantine definitely played a big role because we only spent time with each other. However, recently I discovered she completely destroyed every ounce of trust I had for her.

So, my question is, "How far is too far?"

I normally do not put up with blatant disrespect from anyone, but this time is very different. She was the closest person in my life as of a week ago, and I know what she did was not purposeful or consciously malicious, but I cannot get over the fact that she is now untrustworthy. I tried switching perspectives and putting myself in her shoes and herself in mine, but I would never break her trust the way she broke mine. I am very protective when it comes to those I am closest with, and I expect the same in return, but unfortunately I was not extended the same courtesy this time around.

To make matters worse, she did not tell me, I had to confront her, and then she told me the truth. At that moment, I felt completely betrayed. The easiest way to ruin a relationship with me is to break my trust, which is precisely what she did. So, now I am stuck trying to figure out what my next move will be. Some days I feel like calling her and moving on from the situation, and other days I feel that it is in my best interest to no longer speak to her.

I knew that writing a little bit about this experience would help me clear my mind and hopefully help me with my decision. I know what I should do (end the friendship) but I cannot tell if that is what I truly want to do. The amount of memories, laughs and cries I have had with this girl in five years is infinite. A lot of those memories will be with me the rest of my life, but if I do not trust her, I do not see the point in continuing a friendship because at least on my end it will never be the same.

I hope if you are going through a similar situation like this, you feel better in knowing you are not alone.