How Becoming An Aunt Changed My Life

How Becoming An Aunt Changed My Life

Your niece or nephew is your little buddy for life.

14
How Becoming An Aunt Changed My Life
my picture

Growing up, I was the youngest of five. All my siblings are over the age of 27, so growing up, I didn't have younger siblings to play with. A little bit over five years ago, one of my sisters had my nephew.

I was so excited when my nephew was born. With that, you take on a new form of responsibility. Its weird, I can't describe it, but you just feel like this new sort of responsibility and want to make sure that nothing happens to them, ever. Since he was baby, I've watched him. He was in no means, an easy baby. They spit up, which by the way, can be in your hair and it is not the prettiest thing. After a while, they start to develop more and before you know it, you're there for the milestones. I remember watching my nephew walk for the first time and I was so proud of him. I remember thinking how much he had grown. This year, he learned how to ride a bike without training wheels and it made me think about how much he really has grown. Watching him grow from being a baby to five years old, is amazing.

He'd come to me when he needed something, if grandpa and grandma are busy, or if they just want to hang. Something we like to do is together, is play GameBoy. Since that is a new thing, he actually thinks we can play it together with me being at school, but we can't.

When I transferred colleges, it was hard to leave my little buddy behind. I'd get calls from my mom with my nephew on the phone, asking when the next time I'd be home was. I knew I'd miss him being 15 hours away.

Every time I go home, he's always waiting up, no matter how early or late I get in.