An Hour Without My Phone Made Me Realize How Dependent I Am On It

An Hour Without My Phone Made Me Realize How Dependent I Am On It

I felt nervous.

30

My 3 children love to play Roblox. It is an online game where you can play with your friends. The other day the girls had a few friends over and they wanted to play too. With limited devices, I decided to lend out my phone to one of the children. This was eye-opening.

I decided to write a journal entry. As I usually would, I went to write the date. That's when it hit me. I had no idea what the date was. That was only the first symptom; forgetting the date. Shortly after I the anxiety set it. I felt lost. I realized I had become dependent on this little device for everything from setting timers to looking recipes up. No matter what it is, there is an app for that.

I began to feel nervous. What if something went wrong? I couldn't remember a single number in my phone. It's amazing how pressing a picture has become more real then retaining the information required to contact another human outside of the house.

I used to love to draw, write, paint, read, hike, run... the list goes on. Now I find myself aimlessly scrolling or clicking. Conversations are dry. Without the face to face connection and real emotion, they lack a sense of sincerity.

I've noticed that technology has become a crutch. An addiction. Something we list as a need instead of a want. What is the need for an education if acquiring knowledge is so easily accessible with the touch of a finger?

By the end of the hour, I had more questions than answers. When I finally held the tiny parcel of wonder in my hand, I felt sick. Don't get me wrong, technology is wondrous for so many reasons. Especially when it comes to healthcare. After this incident, I can honestly say I plan to push myself to use the device less and enjoy life more.