My Hometown Is Not My Forever Home

My Hometown Is Not My Forever Home

Thanks for all you've done, but my home (and heart) is somewhere else now

24
My Hometown Is Not My Forever Home

I think every college kid gets this feeling. The feeling of having two homes: your college town and your hometown. Quickly the question arises, which one is actually home? To me, they're seemingly equal, yet each for different reasons. My hometown has my family, countless memories from years of experiences, close friends and a constant sense of familiarity. My college town has all of my new memories and experiences, amazing personal and professional potential, current (and lasting) friendships and freedom. Neither can be replaced by another, but one does seem to dominate over the other.

When I am at school, I miss my family, my house and my pets, not my hometown. I don't miss the traffic on 77 whenever it rains. I definitely do not miss seeing everyone and their cousin whenever I go into the local Target or grocery store. I do not miss the awkward "hellos" to acquaintances I have not stayed in touch with. What I do miss can come visit me for a weekend or I can do the same. In this case, I can bring home to wherever I am.

Now, on the other hand, when I am at home I miss way more than the people. In Boone, I have access to more than just my friends on a day to day basis. I have easy access to adventure, love, solitude, education, excitement, good food and amazing company. There is nothing that makes me more excited than running into an old friend from freshman year and catching up. I actually do not mind driving around the highways of Boone, even when people still do not know how to drive in the rain. Here at home, I cannot recreate the undeniable community that I have created for myself. My life is not the same without that other part of me in it.

SEE ALSO: Boone, I'm Blessed To Have You

I never thought that leaving a place that gave me eight plus years of my life would be so easy. And while it was not even close to simple at the beginning, I only ever feel a twinge of sadness when I leave. Nothing compares to the calming sensation that actually comes over me when I cruise down 421 on my way into downtown Boone.

Do not get me wrong, where I grew up will always be a safe place for me to return because I am all too familiar with its ins and outs. But for right now, I am more than fine with only speeding down the crowded streets of the Lake Norman area some odd weekend every now and then. The foundation and safety that are back home make me all that more comfortable with where I am and where I am going. Much love for the 704, both what it has done and continues to do, but my heart is pretty much permanently residing in the one and only Boone-town USA.