Dealing With Homesickness
Lifestyles

Homesickness Never Really Goes Away, So Pick Up The Phone Already

Please call home, just do it.

433
Family

The most noticeable difference between high school and college is that in college you have next to no adult supervision because — technically — everyone here is an adult. For the most part, this is an excellent development. There's no one to tell you what to do, what to wear, when to go to sleep, what schools you should be applying to — because you're already in school! Everything's great, for the most part.

The downside of having no adults is that you're driving blind on the freeway. There's no one to tell you what to do, fantastic, but also there's no one to tell you what to do. Structure has just about escaped you and now all you have are your dreams and aspirations and the course schedule that comes attached to your major. After that, who knows? No one's telling you what to do.

At this point in the semester, you've probably already drowned in midterms and papers. The last thing you're thinking about is going home. You've got your entire life to figure out right now and you cannot be bothered by being bossed around. I was in the same mindset just a little while ago. Then a bunch of parents came to visit their kids over the weekend and I had never been so sad in my whole life.

Parents just want what's best for you! As soon as you can get over your childishness and absolute independence phase, you will come to appreciate their help. If you think about it, they're really the biggest supporters of whatever dreams and aspirations you have.

So, after that terrible weekend, it finally dawned upon me that I hadn't been home in over a month. No one from home had called and to be fair, neither had I. They were waiting for me to reach out, tell them how I was doing. They didn't want to call me because they didn't want to bother me in all the big important things I was doing. I never thought it was possible for me to be such a jerk.

Sure, independence is super cool. But so is family and staying in touch. No matter how much you want to live your life and be your own person, never forget about the people that are always rooting for you. Also, if you're feeling a little bit down (maybe you got a bad grade or are dealing with some problems with friends) your parents (or siblings, aunts, uncles, etc.) will be willing to give you some amazing advice! Or maybe just advice. In any case, they're here to help you! Accept the help!

Things may also not be going so well at home, and how would you know that if you never call? I know it's a hassle to take a break from all the stresses in your own life, but it's worth it. Someone at home will appreciate that you took the time out to call and make sure everything's going fine. Call home!