My Office At Home: Beginnings
Life Stages

My Office At Home: Beginnings

The beginning of a new adventure at home.

71
My Office At Home: Beginnings
Photo by Jessica Thames

Recently I made the decision to get a bit more serious with my writing. This, coupled with the new opportunity presented to me and family of moving to a new home in a new city. It was quickly decided that I wanted an at home office. After buying a home and moving in. The wife and I agreed upon a room, the one at the end of the hall that she told me I could use, that would become my at home office. My studio. My alcove. My place of creative license. But, it quickly accords to me. How should I design it? What will be the balance between business and pleasure? How do I want the space to feel? And the really big question: Will the room have enough space to house all my books! All these questions came forth and provided fewer answers and more 'what if's' then desirable.

Let me start off that there are some very serious benefits to having and working in an at home office. No matter what your reasoning for having one maybe. Perhaps you scored that dream job which allows you to work from home or you're a single parent with very young children, or you've started your own business; maybe your an inspiring writer and college student, similar to myself, and just need your own space to separate from the world. Whatever the reason maybe you can look forward to some benefits of having your office at home: a reduced travel time, very desirable these days as the average worker travels farther and farther for work. Gas saving, no drive no fuel expense. You won't have to deal with that annoying co-worker who corners you at your desk or in the break room and just won't stop talking to you. Plus, you can work in the comfort of your own pajamas. If that, of course, suits your fancy.

Just remember, the scale often achieves a balance. The good with the bad. Positive with negative. Having an at-home office certainly can come with its fair share of issues. There can be many different distractions: if you own animals, maybe the dog wants out or the cat won't stop upping on your desk or keyboard. You notice the laundry or dishes need to be done and you feel the overwhelming urge to distract yourself with them. Friends, family, neighbors, spouse and the kids do not respect your separate office space! And the really, really, big one: self-made distractions. There just are so many possibilities it is really unfair. Nonetheless, you have to find and create a balance for your office to work, and that is what I am doing right now myself.

I think I will make my own desk.