Hollywood Pedophilia Runs Deeper Than Spacey

His assault is just the surface of the issue.
1154

The media has been a hotbed of disgusting, with the reveal of Kevin Spacey’s drunken assault on the fourteen-year-old child star as well as the thirteen-year-old actress, Millie Bobby Brown of "Stranger Things" included in W Magazine’s slideshow for Most Attractive TV Show Actresses. However, what people might not realize, is that pedophilia has been a major issue in Hollywood for a very long time. Now bear with me, because this article will be a little heavy because this is a serious topic. If you can be triggered by anything regarding assault, I won’t suggest reading this article, but I promise to not get detailed as a respect to the victims and the families. However, I do think this is an important issue that needs to be discussed.

Pedophilia in Hollywood has been described by some as a deep issue from claims of a “Child Sex Ring” to rumors about certain directors, such as Woody Allen and directors who have been convicted of molestation but still have a career such as Victor Salva whose new movie "Jeepers Creepers 3" which had been released in September. However, it’s not clear how many people have been affected by sexual abuse since so many are too afraid to come forward and many people don’t believe them since it’s often played off as a joke.

Now with current headlines, people are beginning to take these claims seriously. But just how far does this issue go? On October 17th, the directors of the documentary "An Open Secret" released their film on Vimeo for nine days to “commemorate serial predator, Harvey Weinstein finally being exposed.” Their documentary covers five child stars who had been victims of sexual abuse at a young age as well as interviews from people who have been censored from reporting on pedophilia in Hollywood including Vanity Fair Journalist, John Connally.

Pedophilia in Hollywood doesn’t come in the form of young people experiencing physical abuse, however, and not just since the release of "Stranger Things" and the sexualization of the shows actors and actresses. Think back to young child stars such as the Olsen twins or Emma Watson and how magazines wrote about them at the age of fifteen or sixteen or how they wrote about young male stars who were only in their teens calling them heartthrobs and sex symbols, sexualizing them before they’ve even turned eighteen.

Despite the blatant sexualization of minors in the Hollywood media and behind the scene, the industry still wants to shut it down.

In a 2013 interview on the view between Barbara Walters and Corey Feldman, a child star known for his roles in "The Goonies" and "Stand By Me" who was also a victim of child abuse in Hollywood, Feldman spoke about his abuse. Barbara Walters asks Feldman, “Are you saying they are pedophiles and that they are still in this business?” Feldman responded, “Yes. They don’t want me here right now. They want me dead.” Feldman went on to warn parents about putting their children in Hollywood when Walters interrupted him to say, “You’re damaging an entire industry.” You can view the exchange here.

This exchange is damaging as Walters is pushing the blame onto Feldman claiming he is responsible for ruining an industry without holding the actual pedophiles responsible.

With the spotlight on this deep Hollywood issue, hopefully, there will be more investigation and report on incidents in the industry and perhaps, California will look into legislation that protects pedophiles in Hollywood. More people are starting to come forward and social media is lending its ear to their stories.