Going Home For The Holigays Can Be Hard, But You Will Survive It

The holidays are sometimes hard, but the holigays can be harder.

cas
cas
398

Every year all of the months leading up to Halloween seem to drag on and then spooky season starts. We all know that spooky season is truly the most wonderful time of the year, but once November 1st comes, everything starts becoming more stressful. Christmas music, Black Friday, cold weather, spending money you don't have to find the perfect gift, and possibly spending time in an uncomfortable situation back home with family. Not everyone has an awkward family situation, but those who do have a really hard time surviving this time of year.

The Holigays are really hard for queer people who aren't out to their families. This time of year we get asked if we're dating the gender we don't prefer, we get misgendered, or we hear our deadnames oh so many times. The list of unfortunate experiences could go on, but these seem to be the most common occurrences during the Holigays. Trust me, you're not alone in this one. Most of the time people in these situations try to avoid these uncomfortable encounters all year but once winter hits, they don't have a choice. Also, have you ever noticed how you can see your family every single day but during this time of year when they're all together they suddenly get extra intrusive? It's weird, right?

So, we can all agree that if you're not out to your family or your family doesn't understand or fully accept your identity that maybe the Holigays just isn't your season. There are some good things that come out of this though... You get to eat a lot of good food. Even though you're not fully out or understood, you know that you're happy with your life. Soon, a new year will start and that is one more year of new experiences and being even greater than you were this year.

Even though the Holigays are hard, you can get through it. It won't last forever and it will be okay. Things may not always be easy to get through nor will they always be fun, but it is a relatively short time and one day it will all be worth it.