The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year

The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year

Colorful lights, gingerbread houses, and Mariah Carey are only a few things that make this time of the year so exciting

8
The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year
Samantha Brown

Winter break is finally here for many students and it is certainly a relief after all the exhausting exams and tedious coursework. Before leaving their friends and campus, some may have visited the city, walked around Rockefeller Center, gone ice skating, and/or seen some the Christmas lights decorated around the block. Or maybe students watched movies like Elf or Christmas with the Kranks in their last few days of class, creating a relaxing environment for teachers and students alike. The smells of peppermint and cinnamon, the sounds of Frank Sinatra and Mariah Carey, and the tastes of milk and gingerbread all set the atmosphere to bring that festive holiday cheer.

On top of this, there are many things that make the holiday season the “most wonderful time of the year”.

1. The lights

Wherever you live, there’s bound to be lights decorated in houses, buildings, stores, coffee shops, you name it. As you drive through a neighborhood, people have red and green lights threaded around their door, have a light-up deer, or a “Happy Holidays” sign flashing on their lawn. And of course, there’s always that one house that goes the whole nine-yards and turns their house into a light works show that never fails to entertain those around.

Seeing bright lights themselves brings out a feeling of happiness and positivity. Our senses all connect to the holiday spirit and that would not be complete without the seasonal food and drinks.

2. The seasonal treats

Gingerbread, eggnog, candy canes, and whatever flavor coffee Starbucks brings out during the holidays all contribute to the different treats that’ll be in their prime during this time of year.

We get a good cup of coffee to beat the cold, decorate gingerbread houses, bake warm chocolate-chip cookies, and overdo the frosting on everything to remind ourselves that we’re celebrating the holidays. The tastes and smells make this time of year come alive and that goes with the music too.

3. The music

Everyone has their favorite Christmas song. Whether it’s from Michael Bublé, Andy Williams, or Brenda Lee, there’s always that one song that captures the holiday spirit for our ears. Music is a powerful device that is capable of bringing back memories and making us happy and I think it’s safe to say that most people are happy during this time of year.

The numerous renditions of “Jingle Bells”, “White Christmas”, “Silent Night”, and more all combine to bring us joy when we tune to our local radio station. The rhythms of “Rudolph the Rednose Reindeer”, “Santa Claus is Coming to Town”, and “Frosty the Snowman” all draw out that nostalgia that we felt when we were kids and remind us that the holidays are a time of being that kid again.

4. The nostalgia

Nostalgia is one of the richest and most powerful feelings out there. From just the sight or smell of something, an individual’s brain is able to trigger feelings from another time and make us feel a certain emotion. Now try combining that during the holidays where all our senses are alive from the Christmas lights, holiday treats, and christmas-y music. You can’t help but feel the same joy you felt many years ago as a child who experienced the holidays for the first time.

Putting up the lights around the door with the scent of cinnamon floating through the air may remind you of the the fun and feeling of togetherness with everyone at home setting up for the holidays. Sitting next to the gentle heat of the fireplace may remind you of when you and family sat around the living room watching Elf on Christmas eve. Decorating the Christmas tree with all those ornaments may remind you of spending Christmas morning with the friends and family you love and treasure.

It’s just a feeling that can be triggered from the simplest of things. While it can be stressful, families will get together at the end of all the present buying, tree setting, and light decorating to appreciate the holiday excitement.

5. The excitement

The energy during the holidays is contagious. People are excited to go ice skating, walk around to see the colorful lights, bake cookies, and marathon Christmas movies. You walk around the mall and see people running to the stores and nab those deals and see kids lined up to talk to Santa next to the tall tree. All the hustle, bustle, and gentle home settings contribute to the overarching excitement that illuminates the holidays.

Friends and family will rejoice to celebrate the holidays and while they’re in conversation, dancing to Mariah Carey, or offering cookies, they’ll be a small moment where stop and think about how this is truly the most wonderful time of the year.