Holiday Window Shopping Instead Of Shopping Online
Holidays

Holiday Window Shopping Is Still An Important Tradition In The Age Of Buying Online

Online shopping is at an all-time high, so why should you still make the trip to a shopping mall?

69

The holidays used to be a popular time to window shop and enjoy the extravagant displays the department stores would put together. You could go to stores with an idea of what you wanted but be able to have some wiggle room with it due to the spontaneity of actually browsing through the store. Physically going to a store allows you to use all five senses while shopping and allows the stores to appeal to those senses, which adds a whole new level to the shopping experience.

With the holidays coming up, many of us have probably started purchasing gifts for our friends and families. Being in college, or just being busy getting ready for the holiday season in general, it can be hard to find the means to actually drive to a store. Along with that, plenty of us typically don't have enough time or patience to browse through the plethora of stores located inside a shopping mall or a downtown area.

Due to being busy, laziness and convenience, online shopping has become extremely popular within the past few years. Many people have transitioned from making the trip to stores or shopping centers to simply typing the website in online, easily finding the exact item they're looking for and quickly ordering their gifts that way.

According to Statistica, as of April 2017, 40 percent of internet users in the United States said they had purchased items online several times per month, and 20 percent said they bought items or services online on a weekly basis. Along with this, online shopping and buying-related activities are pretty consistent throughout all age groups, with a large emphasis on items purchased through Amazon.com.

However, even though online shopping is extremely convenient and easy, making the trip to shopping malls and stores is still important, especially during the holiday season. Going to the store is much more than just purchasing items – it's about spending time with somebody, selecting the perfect gifts (ones you may not stumble upon online), and enjoying the aesthetics of the designs that stores set up for the holiday season.

Holiday window displays are a huge tradition, dating back to the late 1800s. According to WalkAboutNY, Macy's first window display attracted many shoppers at their 14th Street location in New York featuring a number of dolls from around the world dressed in native costumes. Since then, department stores have put large efforts into the marketing and arrangement of their holiday-themed display windows in order to attract customers as well as take part in the joy of the holiday season.

Now, many stores have to attempt to match the same enthusiasm seen in display windows on their websites, advertisements and emails since people have transitioned to mostly shopping online. This is something that comes along with the booming development of technology, however, it's crucial to acknowledge the importance of enjoying the holiday season and everything that comes along with it – including flashy window displays.

This holiday season, be sure to grab someone who you enjoy spending time with and make the effort to execute a trip to your city's shopping area or local mall. Take in the smells, feel the cold air, listen to the music playing around you and notice the fantastic sights put on by your surroundings. There's no doubt that it will create a great experience, and maybe even become a memorable tradition.