Holiday Fun For All!

Holiday Fun For All!

11
Holiday Fun For All!

For most of us, we enter the holiday season with the expectation that we will be spending time with family and friends—opening presents, decorating a Christmas tree, or baking Christmas cookies while listening to our favorite holiday station. For others, the holiday season involves travel to a familiar family vacation destination. Imagine not having the privilege of spending Christmas in this way. Could you imagine not unwrapping presents on Christmas morning or traveling to your favorite Christmas vacation destination?

In central Florida, many children will not have this experience that many of us take for granted, but many organizations do their part to make the holiday season memorable for children who otherwise would not have this experience. The Rollins College Center For Leadership And Community Engagement has held the Holiday Fun Fest for sixteen years. The Holiday Fun Fest is an event that takes place in the Rollins College Alfond Sports Center on December 7 from 6-8 P.M. Rollins hosts children from The Children’s Home Society, Devereux Florida, and The One Hope United Foster Care Facility. The Holiday Fun Fest may be the only way that these children celebrate the Holidays.

As members of the Rollins College community is encouraged to assist with the operation of this fun event. If people Have exams the next day or are not comfortable working with children, they can sponsor a child by purchasing a gift that is up to fifty dollars. If that is something that one is unable to do, students could set up the event or volunteer at an activity table. Many students enjoy working with the children, and for many, it is a fun break from preparing for finals. As a Holiday Fun Fest Buddy, one can enjoy being a child again along with a deserving child from one of the organizations that Rollins is hosting. As a buddy, you can have fun with the child—making Christmas Ornaments, decorating cakes, building a picture frame, and even visiting Santa.

For many of us, the holiday season is a time for spending time with family, eating delicious food, and opening long-awaited presents on Christmas morning. Many children around the United States and Central Florida do not have many of the luxuries that we take for granted every day. Consider volunteering your time to an organization that has the power to make a child’s Christmas more merry.