Hold My Hand

Hold My Hand

And let time handle the rest.

594
Hold My Hand

The millennial dating scene is a game that has entirely changed from what it used to be. For starters, we don't meet people the same way we used to and we don't pursue people the way we used to. Everything these days is fast from how quickly we can find people around us to how fast we run through the course of a relationship.

Please understand this is not a post to judge people for their dating practices, I just want to shed light on something I feel like we've lost sight of.

Time is something we have always tried to battle whether we are trying to chase it or run from it we never allow time to just be what it is. We either want to go back or sail forward instead of moving at a natural pace. I think this applies to relationships too.

I think that we jump the gun on a lot of things when it comes to dating, speaking as someone who has done that before, we don't feel a situation out before investing ourselves into it.

For some of us, we settle for love at first site because we feel like that is the only place to meet people anymore. If you feel you've exasperated all of your options and don't want to meet someone online don't give up. There are plenty of places to meet people and the right one will come along when it's time.

When you find someone wonderful, treasure the time it takes to get to know someone. We also speed through the old practices that make getting to know someone so special. From light learning about their favorite movies to the serious things like unpacking emotional baggage they have.

Time is also not an excuse to stay together. That's all I need to say about that.

I have a serious problem with these movies and songs that describe perfect strangers falling in love and becoming codependent on each other all in one night. I don't buy it and I won't. You can't convince me that it happens that fast.

Also, these songs that convince us, love, is immediate also exhaust me because they tell us dysfunctional relationships like that is the norm. Nothing is perfect but shoot, you don't need to go into something thinking it has to be insane dramatics and fixing people. Yikes.

Time allows us to seriously understand people for who they are. I don't believe in love at first sight, I believe in infatuation or lust at first sight but not love. Love is deep and rooted, love is going against odds together and staying together. Love is a connection.

Then there's intimacy. Well, there was intimacy. Intimacy is closeness, and well the way it's demonstrated today it literally is a physical distance or lack thereof.

I think there are ways to show you care and be intimate without having to sleep with someone. My favorite is holding hands. A simple display of affection that can make you blush and feel close all at once. It is a sweet gesture that respects your boundaries plus it is so freaking cute.

Among my peers, it's more likely to hear someone has hooked up than see a couple holding hands. To be honest, if I had to be jealous of one of the situations it would be the couple holding hands.

For those of us who seek someone to take our time with, it doesn't make you better than anyone to wait or to "rush" things. We all have different speeds and levels at which we feel comfortable and safe.

While I am not a perfect person, I think I'll keep my eye out for someone to hold hands with.