Harry Potter Gone Mobile

Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery: A Review

"Back to witches and wizards, and magical beasts, to goblins and ghosts and to magical feasts!"

1
https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/28577263_10155524118057741_6968651220497674930_n.png?_nc_cat=0&oh=2bea445de143fe1e5774c534e5f52a8b&oe=5BCD9DCF

Have you heard about the new Harry Potter mobile game for iOS?

Even though it released in the middle of April, there's still so much continuous hype about it four months later. I admit, I wasn't completely aware that it existed until, like, June, but once I found out I immediately downloaded it for my phone. Since then, I've been hooked.

"Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery" is a role-playing game where players can customize and play as a new student at the famous school of witchcraft and wizardry. Pretty much every Potterhead's dream, right? You can fully experience your seven years at Hogwarts, making friends, going to classes, and dueling unpleasant enemies.

Of course, no Harry Potter story is complete without a little adventure and danger in the plot. Here's the main storyline: You're playing as the main character, whose older brother has gathered a reputation and was expelled for searching for the mysterious Cursed Vaults. Shortly after, he vanished. Now, you have to deal with the repercussions and the accusations against him being thrown at you.

While it seems that a lot of the students at Hogwarts judge you, you do eventually find yourself with some friends. There's Rowan, awkward and nerdy, who's the same gender as your character, Ben, a not-so-brave but lovable Gryffindor (a likeness to Neville Longbottom of the original series), and Penny, the popular Potions mastermind from Hufflepuff. Not only that but you get to run into some familiar faces too! Bill Weasley becomes part of your group, as well as his little brother Charlie, and Nymphadora Tonks! Such nostalgia.

Like most mobile games, however, there are some catches. When you attend lessons or fulfill your tasks, you use up your energy balls and when you run out, you're pretty much stuck. One refills every four minutes based on their counter, but really, who has the patience to wait? There are ways though; you can stock up on some more using your gems (then again, if you run out of gems, you have to use real money to pay for them), or you can find some hidden in each part of the castle. It's not a total loss even though it seems like it.

So for all you diehard Potterheads who haven't yet downloaded the game, you can still receive your letter. Take the journey into the magical, memorable world of Harry Potter...even before it was Harry Potter's world! (As the game is set just soon after Voldemort's first fall and before our favorite characters entered Hogwarts). It's an adventure you won't want to miss.