The Key To Creating A "Hip-Hop Mount Rushmore"

How do we determine the greatest rappers of all time?

348
Travel South Dakota

Every hip-hop head has a thing called a “Hip-Hop Mount Rushmore” or a top four favorite rappers of all-time. Everyone’s seems to be different and people have different reasons why the artist they chose are on that list. If we were to take a survey who would be voted for the greatest rappers of all time. More importantly what would be the criteria for these artists making it on to the mountain, so you don’t just get who’s hot at the time.

When you google the greatest rapper of all time many different articles and list show up and a consistent theme of who’s on arises however in many different orders. The usual culprits in no order are Eminem, Jay-Z, Tupac, Nas, Rakim, Kanye, and recently starting to see Kendrick make his way on the list. I will agree that many of these are greatest and some I am huge fans of. Some other artists that aren’t on this list have great skills and never really acknowledged on these lists. What about artists like Royce Da 5’9”, Tech N9ne, Wale, and J. Cole. Is it possible to include Lin-Manuel Miranda, the guy who wrote Hamilton the play, is he great? I mean he brought hip-hop to Broadway.

What makes an artist able to be considered on the greatest of all-time list? Is it based on pure record sales? If this is so then the faces on the mountain would be Eminem, Kayne, Jay, and Wayne. For some reason, though, too many people, if not all of them, do not belong at all. Many people have one or two on their list but many times no more than that. It is not possible to make the top four list based on pure record sales because record sales are mostly determined by the label backing and the promotion behind the album and artist. There are many artists that are terrible with massive record sales. Example of this being Cardi B her debate album is sonically and lyrically awful. Record sales cannot make the list on its own, but it is a factor in choosing who will make it in the mountain. There are other categories of the same importance has record sales.

If you have read my previous article “Has Hip-Hop Become A Dying Form Of Music?”, you will know that I believe lyrics are the foundation of hip-hop music. Lyrics will be a major factor in choosing an artist making it on a “Hip-Hop Mount Rushmore.” A problem that will arise with this is the fact that many times there are very lyrical artist that do not have the record sales or label backing to push them out to the masses. Many of these artists like Royce Da 5’9”, Crooked I, Chris Webby, Talib Kweli, and Chino XL are very lyrical. They have been considered “backpackers” and are not loved by the charts. This being said that they have some of the best punch lines and entendres in the business. So, could any of these artists listed be considered for the convened be place on the mountain? Most likely they will not and could not be placed in those spots. However, there are some artist that are very lyrical that have good sales to back their lyricism. Artist like J. Cole. Cole is the only rap artist in recent history to have an album get certified platinum without featuring other artist and he has done it 3 times. So obviously he has the sales with all those platinum albums, Cole always brings the lyrics and the message as well. Just listen to his latest release KOD. Some of the greats like Nas, Jay-Z and Eminem have some amazing lyrics and have some of the most album sales not only among the rap game but in music in general. Lyrics are going to be a big factor in who is among the greats that have the honor of getting their face placed on the mountain.

Another factor in making a great rapper or artist, in general, is the message behind the music and how the music makes feel while listening to it. This is an area of music when talking about the greatest does not get enough acknowledgement in the mainstream. To individuals, this will be a major factor in picking their personal favorite artists. Examples of this are artists like Wale, Drake, Tupac, and Chance the Rapper who always seem to have hits that make you think or put you right in your feels. This has to be a factor in choosing the greats because if you cannot convey emotion in your music then why is it even being made. Conveying emotion in music is what the music is based on. Music can make you smile, make you cry, or make you angry. This is the main factor in why people choose their favorite artist and what they choose to listen to. So naturally, it would be a factor in choosing the greatest rappers of all time. However, it is not really something that is considered as a factor on many of the mainstream list you find. We need to make this a deciding factor when choosing the greats.

Another factor we have to consider is the artist body of work. There are many artists that have had a good album or two but overall the total body of work they have released is not up to par or just do not have enough work to judge them off to have seen them grow as an artist. When there is only limited work you cannot judge an artist properly. Artist like The Notorious B.I.G. Big only had two albums before he passed. I do consider big as an amazing artist, but we never got to see him grow and therefore he cannot be on the mountain. When comparing that body of work to an artist like Jay-Z who has had 13 studio albums where we have seen him grow as an artist and have a vast body of work to judge him off of you cannot choose a great with a limited body of work.

These factors will be what is taken into consideration when choosing who will be placed in history as the greatest hip hop artist of all time but not the biggest factor of them all. Personal opinion. This is why there can never be an actual Hip Hop Mount Rushmore because no one could ever agree on it. Everyone has their own opinion and they are entitled to that opinion.

Who are your four best of all time? Mine are Nas, J. Cole, Wale, and The Game. I bet that is not the same as yours any many people do not agree with my selection but it is mine and they are my favorite rappers of all time and you do not have to agree with it.