"Hilda": Another Netflix Masterpiece

Netflix Produces Another Masterpiece In 'Hilda'

The adaptation of Luke Pearson's graphic novels gives me hope for the future of children's animation.

258

"What happened?"

"This was once a cozy little house. The girl who lived here befriended a giant."

"Guess she learned her lesson."

"Not likely. Odds are, she'd do it again."

Season one of Netflix's new animated series "Hilda" released at the perfect time for me—a time when I was hooked on largely depressing shows like "Castlevania" and "BoJack Horseman." It's aesthetically pleasing like "Gravity Falls," funny like "Phineas and Ferb" and touches on real emotions and topics like "The Little Prince." And, like all three of those, it's meant for children, but can arguably be enjoyed more by older people.

"Hilda" hits the entertainment sweet spot on the spectrum from "feels good" to "feels bad." "Black Mirror" is a good show, but I don't like to watch it because it's so relentlessly depressing, and that's not what I personally look for in entertainment. There are a few children's shows that I cannot even remember the names of because they're happy 100% of the time, and, as such, don't feel genuine or evoke any real, complex emotion and therefore aren't memorable. "Hilda" is a feel-good show, but not because it avoids unpleasant emotions. It feels good to watch "Hilda," because the writers tie up any sad feelings eventually. "Hilda" doesn't try to keep you happy, but it makes sure you are by the end of each chapter. In this way, it feels whole and genuine while still being my new go-to for when I need an escape.

Like any good children's show, "Hilda" introduces difficult real-world concepts in a way that might be obvious to adults but digestible for kids. The show fully took advantage of Luke Pearson's fantastical reality where modern Scandinavian society coexists with magical creatures and sorcery. "Hilda" covers common topics such as bravery, friendship, curiosity, and compassion; however, there were a few topics that I haven't seen alluded to in any other show.

For example, the Nisse are small creatures that occupy empty, unseen spaces in every household. When Hilda sees one on the street, her mother tells her he probably did something bad to get kicked out and not to interact with him. The Nisse are a pretty clear allegory for homelessness, and the show hopes Hilda's compassion sticks in the minds of younger viewers.

Another example involves Hilda's perfectionist friend Frida. Frida calls for help from Hilda and David, gesturing to her messy room. With the help of a video camera, Hilda and David learn that Frida regularly makes a mess of her room, assuming rooms just clean themselves. In reality, a friendly ghost loves one of her books and had been cleaning her room every night in appreciation. Frida's ghost is a clever way to introduce the concept of privilege to children, and I've never seen it done in any children's media before.

"Hilda" is a masterpiece of writing, but also one of music and visual art. The show is beautiful and is commonly and understandably compared to "Gravity Falls" for its similar art style. The show's delightful color palette, character design, and animation is what drew me to it in the first place. Composed by Dan Mangan and Ryan Carlson, the soundtrack is perfect for the show's art style, and I eagerly await its release on streaming services. The show also features some choice artists; Grimes made the theme song, and you'll hear Kishi Bashi and Frankie Cosmos as well.

Hilda's return in Season Two was quickly announced after the show's widespread success, and, at this point, I'm wearing so many pairs of hype pants for different movies, shows, and video games that it's becoming a chore to use the bathroom. I believe "Hilda" will cement itself among the greats of children's animation, and I'm so excited that kids are being brought up in a time with so many good movies and shows to enjoy.