Advice To High School Seniors From Someone Who Hated High School

To The Senior Graduating High School, From Someone Who Hated Almost Every Second Of It

This is the prime time for you to stop reflecting on your past four years and start thinking about the next four.

118

You've waited for this day for so long. The day you get to wear that robe displaying your school colors and maybe some medals and cords (I had four). The day you finally get to celebrate what the last 13 years went towards. The day you finally get to say I'm done. You're probably super excited. Maybe you're exhausted. I was both. Maybe you're upset. I was not.

I hated high school. I hated it more than I hate bugs, more than I hate walking in the rain, more than I hate taking a math class. High school was never for me. Yes, I was good at it, but I just hated it. I always knew there was something more for me out there, and I was always determined to find it. And I did. Well, I found some of it. Something tells me I will be continuing to find "it" for the rest of my life.

So, if you are like me and hated just about every second of high school, or even if you're one of those people who claim to have peaked in high school, let's talk about graduation.

Many people claim to acquire 'senioritis" during their last semester or two of high school. I, however, developed it freshman year. The only thing that kept me closer to sanity was my involvement. I was a member of many teams, clubs, and organizations. Most high school students tend to join at least one group, and this, for me at least, was what made leaving almost bittersweet. Almost.

Now, I guess I didn't write this to only talk about myself, so let's talk about you. This is the prime time for you to stop reflecting on your past four years and start thinking about the next four. Even if you choose not to go to college, still give this a thought. However, don't do what I did: plan. I always referred to myself as a planner, and it blew up in my face quicker than I could have ever expected. It set me back a lot.

I know it sounds ideal to plan the rest of your life right down to the wallpaper shades of your future bathroom, but I've learned to take life day by day, and I started as soon as I graduated.

Maybe you do want to rebrand. Maybe you want to feel like yourself again. Maybe you want a drastic life change, or maybe just a minor one. Whatever you feel like doing after graduation, do it. Do you (as cliche as that sounds).

Graduation is pretty eye-opening, and don't let it scare you. You're growing up. You're becoming your own person. It's a decently large deal. Don't take it for granted, and please, don't try to "stay in the loop." Make your own.