Sephora Primer Comparisons

A Review And Comparison of 6 Sephora Primers

Primers can be essential to the make up process, but know what you're in for.

76

Over the last couple of years, a lot of mainstream makeup brands have started incorporating a skin care element to their cosmetic lines, mostly through the forms of moisturizers and primers. While moisturizers' results can vary based on skin type, primers are more universal in results, so I am comparing various leading brands.

1. Two Faced Hangover Replenishing Face Primer

I've mentioned this primer at least twice because, for non-spray primers, it's one of the most hydrating products I've ever used. The product applies like cream or moisturizer upon your face and nourishes it when it gets more dried out. While this product won't necessarily amplify any makeup put on top of it, it will make the skin look more hydrated, well rested, and glowy, which is why it's often an essential first step in my beauty routine.

2. NARS Smooth & Protect Primer SPF 50

This product can be pricey, but an esthetician told me that it's not necessary to apply it to your whole face, but instead spot treat areas that one may want to blur or protect. The product has a gel-like application, and fortunately a little goes a long way, making the lifespan for this product reasonable for the cost. The built-in SPF is always an added bonus in addition, especially now as summer is approaching.

3. Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion

This product doesn't rank as highly for me, simply because it's very expensive for only serving one part of the face - the eyelids. While this product will amplify your eyeshadow game to the next pigmented level, as expected, it works best with other Urban Decay eyeshadows, which are already fairly pigmented, to begin with. Considering the price point for this item is almost $30, I would instead just spend a little extra money on a more pigmented eyeshadow palette instead.

4. Milk Makeup Blur Stick

I had originally tried their hydrating stick and wasn't pleased with the results as my skin — while it may have looked more dewy and hydrated — didn't feel as such through practical application. As a result, I was a bit hesitant to buy another primer from this company, but I'm pleased with the results of the blur stick as it's very comparable to Benefit's Porefessional Primer in both outcome, although the price is slightly cheaper.

5. Evian Brumisateur Natural Mineral Water Facial Spray

Probably my favorite spray primer ever! This product will definitely be in my handbag all summer long as it can double as a setting spray, and won't ruin your look the more you add to your face (and trust me, you'll be tempted to!) If you have dry skin, this is definitely the product for you as it won't only hydrate, but also make your skin feel softer. It can also be used to treat brushes and sponges if you're doing makeup on the go. This product is fairly cheap — especially in travel sizes, so I recommend purchasing it before the heat kicks in.

6. Smashbox Photo Finish Primer Water

Also a product that can double as a setting spray, this has been a cult favorite in the beauty community for years. It treats dry and dull-looking skin to give it almost an airbrushed look after make up is applied. As a setting spray, it will also lock your make up in all day long.