Helping California Fire Victims

California Fires, And How To Help

How can we help our fellow neighborhoods and citizens?

22
https://twitter.com/SecretaryZinke/status/1062803893078368263
Los Angles Fire Department Flickr

The American Red Cross on the west coast of the United States, we have seen California gone through a shooting to a blazing fire that still rages on. Families have been evacuated from their homes, losing all their possessions with no place to return to once the fire eventually ends.

Northern California's fire is the most destructive one in state history. Only a quarter of it has been contained with more than 6,000 homes lost and 110,000 acres damaged. In Southern California around Malibu, a little less than a quarter has been contained and has burned about 90,000 acres with hundreds of homes lost.

As of November 14th, 103 people are still missing- most of them being senior citizens CNN reported. Some celebrities have also lost their homes such as Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth, Neil Young, Gerald Bulter, etc. Cyrus and Hemsworth donated $500,000 to Fire Relief Efforts in order to help rebuild citizens homes.

Ellen DeGeneres and Walmart have donated $100,000 to the Los Angles Fire Department Foundation. Other celebs have also been donating to help fire departments and to citizens that have lost their homes to help them rebuild and get back on their feet once the fires become contained and it's deemed safe to return.

But, how can we help our fellow neighborhoods and citizens?

Like always, do research before donating to charities since some might take more profit out of the donations being received, charity navigator works as a great tool to lead you in the right direction.

American Red Cross 

The American Red Cross is seeking donations to for their shelters to keep open across the state for evacuees.

California Community Foundation's Wildfire Relief Fund 

California Community Foundation's Wildfire Relief Fund is taking donations also. Grants have been able to support people and their families who are displaced and have lost their home and belongings suffered from physical and mental health and much more.

Caring Choices 

Caring Choices located in Chico, California is always taking in volunteers to help those affected by the fire. If you, or know anyone who is willing to help, they volunteer with Caring Choices were they bill assigned tasks such as caring for animals, offering medical care if you are a certified nurse or doctor and much more to keep you busy.

Residents 

For local residents throughout California, you can help by donating clothes, water or any supplies that victims might need at open shelters.

Lyft and Airbnb

Lyft is offering free rides to anyone in the affected areas. If you have any family or know of anyone in California affect they can call 211 for assistance.

While Airbnb hosts are providing free housing in Ventura and Butte counties for victims.

There are countless ways to help fire victims. If you want to donate money, even the smallest amount helps organizations to keep their doors open to provide for victims in need. With the holidays right around the corner, any help is the good help for the victims.