Healthy Relationships Week Should Be Something We Celebrate All Year Long

Make healthy relationships a priority, no matter what week it is!

12

As referenced in one of my other articles, I joined a sorority this year. One of the biggest eye-openers that have come with joining a Greek organization has been the heavy emphasis on philanthropy. As someone who was required to do community service for high school credit, I had a basic understanding of what it means to help those who are less fortunate than myself. However, I do not think I fully realized how deep this concept reached until I joined my sorority.

This week, Alpha Chi Omega sorority is celebrating its annual Healthy Relationships Week.

This is a week dedicated to informing not only women in the chapter but also those in the community at large about what it means to be in a healthy relationship. In 2020, the big emphasis of HRW is communication. Communication is arguably the cornerstone of any and every relationship, whether it is romantic or not. Without communication, each person involved in a relationship would not be able to accurately convey their emotions or thoughts to one another. This is an area where many relationships are lacking because communication is something that can always be worked on.

Healthy Relationships Week may only officially last one week in February, but it is definitely a concept that should be practiced every single day, 365 days a year.

According to loveisrespect.org, some aspects of healthy communication that can be practiced in any relationship are respecting each other, compromising, and being supportive. I believe these three aspects on the list are some of the most crucial parts of healthy communication.

Respect is one of the most crucial aspects of a healthy relationship.

It's important to let the person you're in a relationship with know that their thoughts and emotions are just as valid as your own, so be respectful of their words. Mutual respect should be practiced in all of your conversations, so let that person know you are listening and truly hearing what they have to say.

Without compromise, conversations with your partner will get nowhere.

It can be easy to disagree with someone, and it's even easier to let your anger and emotions get the best of you. Instead of calling it quits on the conversation, come to a compromise. It should be fair and rational, so don't just completely settle for your partner's ideas or block out their ideas. Come to an agreement of some kind that you both can understand each other on.

If you cannot be supportive and make each other better, you need to really evaluate your relationship with that person.

Show your partner that you hear their words and encourage them in any way possible! I think it's important in any relationship to have your partner be the person that makes you want to be better. Offer that same support and understanding to them!

There are so many key ingredients to a healthy relationship, and this article only touches the surface. Healthy relationships should not be a difficult thing to find, but they can always be improved. The first step can always be communication, but do your research if you're curious about a relationship you have with someone. Chances are, it can be fixed, but it's always good to understand what level your relationship is on and what are some red flags of an unhealthy one. It's time we start prioritizing our relationships more than just one week out of the year