5 Healthy Dinners On A Student Budget

5 Healthy Dinners On A Student Budget

No money? No problem. Easy, healthy and delicious homemade meals.

20
https://unsplash.com/photos/0sPFjdcRhko

It's late Thursday, and you've been all day in between classes and trying to survive with the only snack you have in your bag until you can get home and cook a nice decent meal. You finally get home your stomach is growling and you look at the options on the fridge that don't feel appetizing. Maybe, you could order UberEats for the third time this week, but you also want to save money and stick to healthier options. Even on a budget, it's still possible to cook healthy and delicious meals with less money and ingredients. Here are five healthy and simple recipes you can cook on a budget and be ready for your meal prep during the week so you don't worry about starving anymore.

1. Healthy Turkey Veggie Sandwich (3.10$)

This is the fastest and healthiest way to include all your four food groups, protein, fats, veggies, and carbs. A go-to quick meal that will not only be delicious but a money saver.

Ingredients:

- 2 slices of multigrain bread (I use Ezekiel), sliced

-1/4 cucumber, sliced

-1/2 cup of spinach

-1/4 avocado

-1 Turkey breast, shredded

The Preparation Method:

1. Lightly toast two slices of bread. On each slice spread the Dijon mustard (optional).

2. On each slice arrange the cucumber.

3. Only on one slice start assembling the rest of the ingredients spinach, turkey breast and avocado. Add the other slice of bread on top. Cut sandwich in half and secure each half with a toothpick and ENJOY!

Serving: 1

Active Time: 5 minutes

Total time: 7 minutes

2. Roast Chicken and Vegetables (7.89$)

This recipe is perfect for your meal prep during the weekend. It can do up to four servings and its healthy, easy and nutritious. What you'll need is:

Ingredients:

- 4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Thigh

- 1 Bell Pepper, julienne

- 1/2 Onion, julienne

- Spices (salt, pepper, rosemary)

- Lemon juice

The Preparation Method:

1. Preheat the oven on 365° F.

2. Cut the bell pepper and 1/2 onion in julienne.

3. Season the chicken with salt, pepper, rosemary, and lemon juice a and mix all together is better to use your hands to really get the flavors into the chicken.

4. Place the chicken into a baking dish and place it into the oven to roast until completely cooked through, for about 25-30 minutes.

5. Garnish with parsley and sever immediately.

Serving: 4

Active Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 40 minutes

3. Pomodoro Sauce (5.76$)

This sauce is an amazing varied option since you can use it for different recipes such as meatloaf, pasta, lasagna, pizza, and whatever you imagine, be creative!

By making a big batch, put it in the freezer, and it will last for more than a month. Make this recipe not just for one, but for different types of dishes.

Ingredients:

- White onion, chopped

- 2 cloves of garlic

- 2 28 oz. Tomato Cans, crushed

- Fresh basil

- Spices (salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder, bay leaves)

The Preparation Method:

1. In a skillet sauté the chopped onion with the 2 cloves of garlic.
  2. Add crushed tomato cans and mix until boil.
  3. Set the heat on low and add spices, salt, pepper, garlic powder and bay leaves, fresh basil and stir.
  4. Let sit for 40 minutes stirring occasionally on low heat. The longer the tastier.
  5. Add basil and serve!

Serving: 6

Active Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour & 15 minutes

4. Pork Chop Mushroom (6.52$)

Mushroom Pork Chop w/ Cauliflower Rice.

This a classic recipe for family dinners, it seems like a lot of work, but by just adding five ingredients you can do this delicious dinner to impress anyone.

Ingredients:

- Onion, chopped

- Mushroom

- Spices (salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce)

- 1 cup of Spinach

- 4 Pork Loin Boneless Chops

The Preparation Method:

1. In a skillet sautéed chopped onions, spinach, mushroom and spices, salt, pepper and 5 splashes of Worcestershire sauce.
  2. Season pork chops with salt and cooks for 5 minutes each side.
  3. Serve immediately and enjoy!

Serving: 4

Active Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 35 minutes

5. Beef Meatloaf (8.13$)

An amazing lunch where you will have everyone asking for more! Every time my Mom used to prepare her delicious Meatloaf recipe, I remember watching everyone ask for seconds and third's because of the deliciousness of this dish. Highly recommended you should try this Meatloaf recipe.

Ingredients:

- Beef

- 1 egg

- Spices (salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin)

- Cheese, sliced

- Turkey breast sliced

The Preparation Method:

1. Preheat the oven on 365° F.
  2. In a bowl mix by hand (preferably) the egg and spices.

3. Make a 4 inch by 2-inch rectangle with the beef mixture.

4. Add the cheese and turkey slices onto the beef mixture and roll.

5. Set on a baking sheet and cook for 30 minutes.

6. Cut into pieces and serve with Pomodoro sauce, if desired.

Serving: 5

Active Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 50 minutes