4 Tips For Surviving 4 Years Of College

4 Tips For Surviving 4 Years Of College

Tips on Surviving Your 4 Years

7
4 Tips For Surviving 4 Years Of College
Theodysseyonline.com

Summer is ending and the school bells have begun to ring for most people. I, like many other college students I know, have spent the better half of two weeks making the attempt to pack. I say attempting because I procrastinate at everything in life. Now this article isn’t about the fact that I can’t properly adult, it’s to those doe eyed freshmen who will be coming to college for the very first time. As a senior, I would like to offer some advice to you young people.

As you begin your first year, don’t just focus on classes. I say this to say that you also need to look for other ways to spend your time. College isn’t like high school, unless you go to small private liberal arts college. If so, congrats! High school hasn’t left just yet, be prepared to know literally everyone and their business. Even if you’re not living the high school life again, try to find things that interest you on campus whether it be Greek life, band/color guard, sports, student government, or another group that your school has to offer. You are going to find that the more you do outside of the classroom, the more you are able to enjoy your college experience.

As you start to take classes, don’t think that you have to pick your major right away. That’s the farthest thing from the truth. It took me years to figure out what I wanted to do and I’m still wondering if it’s the right decision. I’m indecisive, so don’t mind me. You have a whole year until you have to declare, so really think about what life has in store for you and what would make you happy. Don’t choose a career path just because that’s what your parents want from you. You will not be happy and being miserable will take a toll on you and your future marriage. Find the career that will make you happy. That’s what matters the most—that and money, if you have a shopping problem. Looking at you women….

And speaking of marriage, don’t assume that you will definitely find the love of your life in college. If you do, that’s fantastic. If not, look for the nearest nunnery which you will most likely spend the rest of your days. I hope you like the color black… just kidding. You will find someone, but it doesn’t have to be at school. Either way, take chances and fall in love more than once. Even princesses had to kiss a few frogs before Prince Charming came along.

Most importantly, please study. I feel like this is self explanatory but as someone who did great in high school without studying I can see how college is a huge wake-up call for studying hardcore. It's not just going to come to you magically. You have to repeatedly learn the information your professors give you if you want to succeed in your classes. And you should also take the time to enjoy them as well. There is nothing more miserable than taking a class that you don't care for at all. Do the things that interest you and it will make studying and passing far easier than expected.

While I could sit here and wax on poetically about college advice, I will say this in parting: make the most of the four years. It will fly by and then you will be me sitting on the floor trying to figure out what the hell to do with your senior year and hoping to get all the things you’ve wished for during the Lilly sale.