Here Is The Complete Transformation Of Hayley Kiyoko, From Disney Days to “20-Gayteen”

The 26-year-old singer expressed that she “didn't have that hope growing up,” so she wanted to make a change and become a figure that LGBTQ+ fans can resonate with.

3625
Caitlin Ison

To many people, the name Hayley Kiyoko may sound familiar. Whether it be because of her roles on "Lemonade Mouth" and "The Fosters" or because of her triumphant music career, hers will be a name to remember. If the name doesn’t ring a bell for you just yet, sit tight. You might want to get familiar with Hayley Kiyoko because she won’t be backing down for a substantial amount of time.

First off, let’s give a bit of background information before we dive into the timeline of Kiyoko’s career. Hayley Kiyoko is an openly gay singer, songwriter, actress, and dancer. In 2016, she wrote an open letter for Paper Magazine in which she explains why she decided to incorporate her sexuality into her music. She decided to be open with listeners through her art because she feels that it “reassures them that they aren't alone – that their feelings are valid, that they are enough and they will find someone to love them back.”

2007

The Stunners.

Hayley Kiyoko is a founding member of girl-group, The Stunners, along with R&B singer, Tinashe. They had served as an opening act for Justin Bieber on the My World tour in 2010 and released their self-titled debut EP before disbanding in 2011.

2009

"Scooby-Doo."

Hayley Kiyoko stars in the Cartoon Network film series “Scooby Doo! The Mystery Begins” as Velma Dinkley alongside Robbie Amell and Kate Melton.

2010-2011

Disney days.

Kiyoko also had a recurring role as Stevie Nichols on the Disney Channel hit series, ”Wizards of Waverly Place,” in which she portrayed Alex Russo’s trouble-making sidekick.

In 2011, Hayley Kiyoko also starred in the renowned DCOM “Lemonade Mouth.” She portrayed Stella Yamada, the guitarist for the band. Also, if “Determinate” isn’t one of your most cherished childhood bops…where have you been the past decade?

2013

“The Fosters.”

Kiyoko also had a recurring role on the Freeform show “The Fosters.” She portrayed Gabi, an ex-cyberbully in an all-girl foster home.

2015

"This Side of Paradise" EP released.

Kiyoko admits that one day in the studio she was “venting…frustration about [her] music not connecting the way [she] wanted it to.” Her collaborator, Lily May Young, had asked her to reveal a secret that nobody else knew, to which Kiyoko responded with her attraction to girls. That day, her music career took a turn for the better as the 2015 hit “Girls Like Girls” was curated. On February 3, 2015, a collection of five songs better known as the EP “This Side of Paradise” was released.

“Girls Like Girls” video released.

The music video for Kiyoko’s monumental hit “Girls Like Girls” was released on June 24, 2015. Stefanie Scott, Kelsey Chow, and Hayden Thompson star in the video, which was directed by Kiyoko and Austin S. Winchell. Kiyoko didn’t actually star in the video, but she has admitted that through it, she “was finally telling my story for the first time. The yearning feelings [she] had and…the feeling of being so alone.” It’s no mystery that anyone can resonate with the message of the video, which is why it has racked up over 89 million views since its release.

“Jem and the Holograms.”

Kiyoko adds another film to her resume with the 2015 cinematic reboot of the 1980's hit show “Jem and the Holograms.” She plays Aja, one of the holograms, and she sports blue hair in this film.

2016

"Citrine" EP released through a major label.

Kiyoko’s third EP, "Citrine", is released through a major label, whereas her previous works were released under independent labels. It was released September 30, 2016, through Atlantic Records.

2017-2018

Meeting Expectations in "20-Gayteen"

The release of “Curious” in 2017 marked the beginning of a new era for Hayley Kiyoko’s music career. She croons over infectious beats about a woman she was once involved with, who has moved on with a man, and begs the question: “I’m just curious, is it serious?”

On March 30, 2018, or as the internet likes to refer to it, 20-Gayteen, Hayley Kiyoko’s major label debut album "Expectations"is released. It’s safe to say it’s been on repeat since then. Otherwise, I wouldn’t be head-bopping to “Wanna Be Missed” while writing this article. The record has built up overall positive reviews, including a 6/10 score on Pitchfork.

Hayley Kiyoko just played a set at the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival, and she is currently supporting "Expectations"while touring North America. She is also set to be an opening act alongside ARIZONA on Panic! At The Disco’s "Pray For The Wicked" tour in the summer of 2018.