Having A Learning Disability Doesn't Make You Stupid

What Gives You The Right To Judge What You Don't Understand?

472
daddyshangout.com

The other day, I was watching an episode of "Chopped" and something unusual stuck with me for the last couple of days. It was the teen episode and while the teens were asked what this win means to them, a boy spoke up and said, "I want to show people that just because I have a learning disability, doesn't mean I'm stupid."

Throughout my life, I have experienced firsthand what mentally handicapped individuals go through on a daily basis. My uncle is mentally handicapped and the struggles he faces on a daily basis are more than I could ever imagine. He is also one of the smartest people I know. People write off mentally handicapped people because they think they're "stupid" or "they won't understand." Well, let me be the first to tell you, you're wrong. Absolutely and completely dead wrong.

My uncle could sit with you for hours and tell you things you never knew. So what, he may be a little bit slower and it might take him a little while longer to understand something, but that in no way means he is stupid.

He gets judged right off the bat and he knows it. The feeling of being constantly judged or made fun of keeps him from going out to dinners or going to places with crowds. How is that fair? It's not his fault, nor should he feel as if something is wrong with him.

Growing up, I have heard all the comments and snarky remarks about mentally handicapped people. Some people don't understand how to communicate with them, or how to feel comfortable around them. I'll let you in one a little secret: they are people, too. Ask them about their hobbies, interests--basically anything you would talk about in a conversation. Don't treat them like they are incompetent individuals; treat them like the human beings they are and deserve to be treated as.

I find it hard to understand people who do not treat people with respect, especially when it comes to mentally handicapped individuals. I wish everyone would take the time to get to know these individuals, have a conversation with them, and accept them for who they are. I promise you, your life will be enriched by their perspectives on life and their tidbits of knowledge.

I don't find it fair that having a mental disability is viewed in a negative light. It does not make a person stupid, or slow, or incompetent. It makes them special, and not in a bad way or a way that makes them feel incapable of reaching their goals, but rather in a way that allows them to overcome certain challenges and become one of the strongest people this world has to offer.

I challenge anyone to take a walk in their shoes and see what it feels like to get treated in such a negative way. Mentally handicapped individuals are strong people who haven't given up and who have so much to offer the world.

Do not underestimate their knowledge, power, strength, or huge hearts. And most of all, do not be afraid to get to know them, have a conversation, and let your heart be stolen by all of their amazing qualities.