'Harvest Life' Review: This Game Is A Train Wreck

The First Game I Ever Professionally Reviewed Was A Train Wreck

What a way to jump start my career, right?

8

First, I want to say that when I became a video game journalist, I knew the risks that would come with the job. With every game you review, there will be that one negative comment. With every game you review, there will be no promise that you will enjoy it. However, you have to play through it because that's your job. If you don't believe me, let me tell you the story of a disaster piece known as "Harvest Life." "Harvest Life" was one of my first big assignments that was given to me to review. Think of "FarmVille" having an ugly baby. Yeah, that's this game.

"Harvest Life" creates a base storyline that would come from any basic simulation game. Your grandpa has an accident with a tree and gives the farm to you to take care of, and that's it. With no questions asked, you are just thrown into the game. Within like five minutes, you get your first official "quest," which is to get a cat stuck out of the tree by... cutting the tree down while the cat is still in it. Makes sense to me. Whether it was a small tutorial to show how to chop trees or not, having this cat is pointless as it does nothing except just take up space on your farm.

The first thing that needs to be addressed is a missed opportunity for in-depth character customization. Now I need to say this aspect doesn't affect the game's score. There are games out there like "Animal Crossing" that don't allow character customization but still can be amazing products in the endgame. In my opinion, any game with a chance of character customization should strike while the iron is hot.

Let's talk about graphics in "Harvest Life." When I first booted up the game, it honestly looked like I was playing a mobile game or a farm game off some website at best. It was just so off-putting and a huge turnoff. It looks like the game isn't finished and somebody decided to just release the game way before its initial release date. It sadly plays the same way as well. A beta version of the same product.

After I wrote my review, I still was satisfied though. Not because of the game, oh god no. Nobody can change the way I feel about that. I was satisfied because in the end, I can call myself a video game journalist. I may be freelance at the moment, but to shake off that title I'll play as many horrible games as it takes until I reach my dream.