Why Harvard's Greek Life Sanctions Don't Make Sense
College Greek

Sanctioning Sororities, Harvard? You Can Do Better

Taking away sororities on your campus is not going to make anything about your university better. If anything it's going to hurt it.

598

There are many misconceptions about Greek life. According to a lot of people, Greek life is all about partying, drinking, drugs and loving ourselves more than anything else.

But Greek life isn't even close to any of that, it is so much more.

Harvard, sanctioning these organizations will NOT benefit your university.

Taking away these organizations means taking away potential friendships. It means taking away opportunities for your students to grow socially, academically, and professionally.

Being a part of a Greek organization has opened so many doors for me, and I can not express how thankful I am for that.I am an out-of-state student who decided to go across the country for school. I was terrified to go somewhere where I would know no one. Finding my sorority is what allowed me to be comfortable in a time where all I wanted to do was go home.

Now Harvard, people come from all over the world to have the prestigious title of owning a degree with your name all over it. Don't you think that they too are nervous to go somewhere where they might not know anyone? Don't you think that they might need a little help branching out and meeting people? Because I sure think so.

Being in a Greek organization is not about partying. It's not about seeing who can get the most likes on their social media, or being the most popular group of people on campus. It's about so much more.

It's about finding a home away from home.

It's about philanthropy.

It's about bettering the community around you.

Being a part of the greek community, you get to meet more people and experience more things than you would outside of these organizations. Because of my organization, I'm involved in South Carolina's Dance Marathon. I actually feel that I do better in school because I have more people to study with and have more people to ask questions to.

Kappa Kappa Gamma has given me the confidence to approach people and to network with others.

Basically, Harvard, I think that what you are doing is not a good idea.

Sanctioning these organizations on campus is taking away opportunities. Opportunities for women and really everyone to better themselves and your campus.

So, think twice before you really go through with this. Some of the most influential people in our world have been a part of these organizations, and continue to do great things for our country.

I know plenty of young women who can all say that their greek life organizations have changed their lives for the better and that they don't know where they would be without their sorority sisters and other members of the greek community.

Greek life could not have impacted my life more positively than it has, and I look forward to future young women that I know having the same experience as me. However, they can not have that experience if you simply take it away from them. Let people make their own decisions when choosing organizations that they wish to be a part of, do not make that decision for them.

Now that I've said my piece... please enjoy these pictures of myself and the people in the Greek Community who have impacted my life for the better and who truly make this world a better place.

Just a bunch of sorority girls who helped raise over ONE MILLION DOLLARS for our local children's hospitalphoto: Emily Riley

Going to formal where I had some of the most fun in my entire life along side some of my best friends. photo: Emily Riley

This girl next to me WILL change the world one day. I can guarantee it. photo: Emily Riley

The people who will be in my wedding. photo: Emily Riley

Three sorority women leading young college women to find their homes in Greek Life so they can hopefully find joy like this while in college also. photo: Emily Riley