A 'Harry Potter' Fan Remembers Alan Rickman

We'll miss you, Professor.

33

Earlier this week, I woke up to a text message from one of my best friends. She texted me (in all caps), "Alan Rickman died! What is happening to our world it is being stripped of our geniuses?!" I was deeply saddened when I realized I wasn't dreaming and that it wasn't some sick joke, and the news was true. After a secret battle with cancer (Seriously, first Bowie and now this?), Alan Rickman has passed away at the age of 69.

Alan Rickman was a versatile actor, known for many incredible roles. He was the bad guy in "Die Hard." He played poor Karen's unfaithful husband in "Love Actually." Most notably though, he stole our hearts as the man we loved to loathe and made our childhood's a better place because of his portrayal of Severus Snape. He was one of the many actors who helped bring "Harry Potter" to life for this generation, and he did it so wonderfully. Snape, while deeply, deeply, flawed, turns out to be a different kind of hero in the end. I truly believe no one else could have possibly portrayed Snape in the way Rickman did. The following is a compilation of some of both the best things about Rickman's portrayal, and his best moments as Snape, as a thank you for truly becoming Severus Snape, and truly embodying one of our favorite "Harry Potter" characters.

1. JK Rowling's physical description of Snape was less than flattering, but Rickman embraced it.

Rowling's description from "The Sorcerer's Stone":

" Professor Quirrell, in his absurd turban, was talking to a teacher with greasy black hair, a hooked nose, and sallow skin."

Rickman even embraced the greasy hair. He nailed Snape's appearance.

2. His speaking voice perfectly embodied Snape

Chills. Straight up chills.

3. He perfected the art of the stare down.

I feel the loathing deep in my soul.

4. He gave Snape a flair that was more pronounced than in the books.

I'm a big believer that the book is always better than the movie, but Rickman's Snape was MUCH more likable and believable than the book Snape. Book Snape is pretty one-dimensional.

5. His death scene was beautifully acted.

I never liked Snape, but I still cried anyway. I was incredibly moved by Rickman's performance.

6. He truly made us believe Snape was good, deep down.

Again, I never thought Snape should get a clear pass for being a jerk all of those years, and what he did for Harry ever made up for being kind of terrible, but the emotion Rickman showed as Snape was truly inspiring. That chapter of "Deathly Hallows" is one of my favorites because it's so beautifully written, and Rickman did it just by portraying it so beautifully.

Thank you Alan Rickman, for everything you have done. Rest in peace. You will be in our hearts. Always.