Happy (Belated) Earth Day

Happy (Belated) Earth Day

Here's a quick PSA.

7
Happy (Belated) Earth Day
NASA, 1972

Did you know that by 2050, Antarctica will be subject to entirely ice-free summers?

Did you know that both Greenland and Antarctica are melting at rate that's six times faster than the 1990s?

Did you know that back in 2018, the IPCC warned us that we only have 12 years to prevent the worst effects of climate change, until the damage becomes virtually irreversible?

Did you know that we have virtually made no real, genuine improvements to our greenhouse gas emissions, with 2019 reporting the highest average rates of carbon emissions ever in Earth's history?

Did you know that over one million species are at a risk of extinction due to climate change patterns made worse by human activity, including half of all amphibians?

Did you know that because of human activity, experts suggest that we're in the middle of Earth's sixth mass extinction, with up to 50% of all species expected to be fully lost by 2025?

Remember when it snowed on Halloween?

Remember when it was 60 degrees in the Midwestern US in the middle of February?

We are supposed to love this planet. We gave it a name, dedicated a whole day to celebrating its beauty - and yet today, Earth Day 2020 - marks the beginning of the last "crucial decade", the last chance we have to save a planet we claim to adore so much.

Get your shit together.