Halsey's New Single

Women's Bodies Are Being Dictated By Men, And Halsey's New Single 'Nightmare' Is The Anthem We Need

"I won't be caught dead letting a man tell me what I should do with my bed."

86

It's been a rough week for women. Well, it's been a rough existence for women in comparison to their male counterparts. This past week, Alabama passed a law that will effectively outlaw abortions with an exception for cases when the woman's life is at serious risk but not for cases of rape or incest. The law also promises to incarcerate doctors who perform abortions at any stage of pregnancy for up to 99 years. What's worse is the fact that the law, currently the most restrictive abortion ban in the country, was advanced by 25 male Republicans who, and this is true, have not and never will be pregnant.

Less than a week after this law was passed in Alabama, a bill was signed into law in Georgia that would impose a life sentence or even the death penalty for any woman who has an abortion after a fetal heartbeat is detectable. Yes, the death penalty. While these abhorrent laws are posing clear threats to Roe v. Wade (not to mention women's health and safety), some are even pointing out that these restrictions are much stricter than those that existed pre-Roe era.

So yeah. It's been a week.

In a move that couldn't have been more perfectly timed, Halsey's newest single "Nightmare" was released just days after news of the draconian abortion laws passed all over the country. The song serves as a feminist anthem calling out all the patriarchal nonsense that rules the lives of women everywhere, consisting of powerful lines like "I've pinched my skin in between my two fingers and wished I could cut some parts off with some scissors," "I won't be caught dead letting a man tell me what I should do with my bed," and "I'm tired and angry, but somebody should be."

With a pop-punk background and a raspy chorus punctuated by melodic shouts, "Nightmare" leaves listeners feeling powerful, something desperately needed given the current climate. Lines like "Stared in the mirror and punched it to shatters, collected the pieces and picked out a dagger" and "No, I won't smile, but I'll show you my teeth" drive home the message that women are not to be messed with — something that not only women need to know, but lawmakers need to know, as well. We will not be messed with.

To support the Yellowhammer Fund, an organization that provides funding for anyone seeking care at one of Alabama's three abortion clinics, purchase one of Halsey's special edition "Nightmare" shirts here from which 100% of the proceeds go to the organization. You can also donate directly to the organization here.